Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an entirely stock '79 Mustang with single snorkel air cleaner. Which would be the best cheap route for me to go air cleaner wise to get the power up? If I toss on an open element, I get more air in, but it will be hot. A later model dual snorkel set up would get me more cold air, but is it worth the expense/hassle when compared to the open element?

Would a scoop and open element sealed to the hood be the best route? (No qualms about cutting the hood.)

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Shaker scoop

I'd say an open element would be an improvement over the single snorkel... but the dual snorkel would be be better than bothl. And a ram air/scoop would be the best. Just my oppinion though...

·
Registered
373 Posts
You can use a stock air cleaner housing like I do. Actually my car came with an open element so I took the air cleaner off of my '77 Ford truck. I got a dryer attachment from Home Depot that was square on one end and 4" round on the other. I attached it to the air cleaner and ran 4" dryer hose to the front.
If I can find some black rubber/plastic hose I will change out the dryer hose for that just for looks and durability.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts