Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, I know they sell a kit... but I'm too cheap to buy it.

SO I'm looking at building my own.

1st: Need to figure out if I should just block off the governor on a stock VB. As I need the drive shaft length more than the governor.

2nd: Need to get the shaft splined to 27 now.

Pic of a Ford 203 case, with 31 spline input. Gear thing next to it a Chevy 27 spline input for the 203. Standing tall a C4 2wd tail shaft. On the ground a C4 2WD cut in half, which will get 27 spline where the governor sits.

So, any help here would be great!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MisterN on 7/1/06 9:46am ]</font>

·
Registered
275 Posts
I'd check pirate4x4.com or one of the other sites.

If I understand correctly, you are using the 203 as the primary, and the 2speed section of the D20, correct?

Do you have to go that short? What are you using between the C4 and 203, some adapter housing? Is input bolt pattern of the D20 and NP203 the same?

You're way more ambitious than me, that's for sure. It will be cool when it's done and you can say you made all the parts to make it work.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On 2006-07-01 19:20, etcetera wrote:
I'd check pirate4x4.com or one of the other sites.

If I understand correctly, you are using the 203 as the primary, and the 2speed section of the D20, correct?

Do you have to go that short? What are you using between the C4 and 203, some adapter housing? Is input bolt pattern of the D20 and NP203 the same?

You're way more ambitious than me, that's for sure. It will be cool when it's done and you can say you made all the parts to make it work.
yeah I've been a part of Pirate since before the server crash, great site. However this site is way better for C4 stuff!
I was going to pay a shop to rebuild my C4 but found this site, and I'm 98% done with my frist build.

I'm using just the low range part of the 203, and the complete D20. So I can have two low ranges!

Input is not the same, I'll have to have custom shafts made for me. I'm getting teh stock shafts re-splined, both the C4 and 203 tail shafts.

To mount the C4 - 203 I'm making my own out of steel. 3/8" plate on the C4 and 203, then a tube inbetween.
203-D20 I'm not 100% on, but it's been done enought I'm not worried.

Q, what spline is the tail shaft on C5 4x4 case?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Ahh, I see. I thought if you were using the complete d20 it would mount to the c4 and the low range from the 203 on the back. I was a little confused on how that would work.

Too bad you can't just respline the c4 4x4 shaft, or get a gear for the 203 to fit the c4.

So far this is the best for C4's. It's the perfect auto to rebuild for a beginner, the powerglide maybe being easier.

Keep us posted.

Eric

·
Registered
73 Posts
If you block off the governor, won't you have to use a manual valve body? Which I like reverse manual bodies because first and reverse are closer together.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On 2006-07-01 21:31, etcetera wrote:

Too bad you can't just respline the c4 4x4 shaft, or get a gear for the 203 to fit the c4.

Eric
C4 is 28 splines in a 2wd & 4WD versions. The 203 is 32/31/27/23 splines. Yes I've tried to shove the 28 splines into the 27 opening... So close!

Does anyone know the tail shaft spline count on a C5? (Into a BW1350 I think)

Here is what I kicked out in mspaint:

for full version: http://littlekeylime.com/MrN/img/tranny/c42wdsft.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MisterN on 7/3/06 11:29pm ]</font>

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On 2006-07-02 05:12, BUCKETOBOLTS wrote:
If you block off the governor, won't you have to use a manual valve body? Which I like reverse manual bodies because first and reverse are closer together.
If I buy a VB I'll go reverse with compression brakeing.

However I'm going to try a stock Valve Body. First with the holes capped, and then if I don't like that I'll make a tube to go between the holes. So it'll be like full on or full off, still not sure how this will affect the C4... Anyone have an idea?

·
Registered
275 Posts
You might consider taking the 203 input gear to a good machine shop and having it welded and resplined to fit the stock c4 4x4 shaft. That way you could use any 4x4 c4 without modification. You would be able to keep the governor if you wanted.

Eric

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
On 2006-07-03 11:44, 64 TBOLT wrote:
you could use any 4x4 c4

theres only one and thats from a EB
I wan't aware of anyother 4x4 applications for teh C4.
What else?
(other than said metion C5)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
On 2006-07-03 11:35, etcetera wrote:
You might consider taking the 203 input gear to a good machine shop and having it welded and resplined to fit the stock c4 4x4 shaft. That way you could use any 4x4 c4 without modification. You would be able to keep the governor if you wanted.

Eric
Great suggestion, but I'm unaware of any shop that can broach (spelling?) to 28.

Also I'd don't need the governor, but need the length for drive shaft. I'll be at 15" when I'm done, can't loose much more.

Does any have a shaft from a 2wd bold on yoke? Is that 28 spline? Have a pic of it, or doesn it look like the 4x4 shaft with threads on the end for the nut?

Thanks for all the replies!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Change of Plans

Well I don't like the idea of cutting down my tail shaft and re-splining it... cost with shipping was ~100
SO I called two shops that make 4x4 C4 tail shafts, only two I could find. (Anyone else know of another shop?)

C6-C4.com and Advanceadapters.com
C6-C4 I'm waiting on a call back, as they only planned on a hardened stock shaft (28 splines).
Advanced will sell the "shorty C4" shafts! (27 splines) in lower right of pic. Only %52 over a respline!

Now any input on the Governor? What will happen if I block it off? What can I expect?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MisterN on 7/6/06 2:35am ]</font>

·
Registered
73 Posts
Jed's machine in WI, does a lot of doubler and trans shafts. I'll try to find a link. The ClassicBroncos.com site seems to be down for the time being.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts