Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday if finally completed my Stealth to Vic Jr swap. Discovered that it is possible to swap a Vic Jr. under a stock 65/66 hood with a full 14" air cleaner (disregard that I have a Shelby scoop-it's vacant.) Car has already picked up allmost .3 tenths and 3mph--the Stealth just wasn't enough for a 6400 shifted 393.

Anyways, my question is simple. With the single plane will I typically need to jet up, down or will I see little difference?

·
Registered
991 Posts
ya on a 393 I would fully expect those gains. As for jetting I have had sometimes where I needed a change other times, noticed very little after some plug reading

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
I have no experience in the matter, but it would seem to me you might need a little more jet due to increased plenum volume. Certainly can't hurt to bump them up on the track and see if you gain anything.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Great performance increase Dennis!! Nice sleeper.

I need do the same to my 347 and switch from the Pro. Products Air Gap to the Vic Jr. I would love to see the same increase you got.

I would also like to know how to jet when changing from the dual to the single plane.

BTW...What did it run? 60,1/8,1/4, mph?

·
Registered
908 Posts
On 2006-07-12 06:28, woody1 wrote:
ya on a 393 I would fully expect those gains. As for jetting I have had sometimes where I needed a change other times, noticed very little after some plug reading
Is your name Jim Woods?

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On 2006-07-12 10:22, Vinyl66 wrote:

BTW...What did it run? 60,1/8,1/4, mph?
I run a dismal 2.53 second 60, and 14.242 second quarter at 108.6mph with a 4 speed and 3:70 gears. Race weight hauling me around is 3400lbs
Was a consistent 14.56 and 105.8.

Needless to say I am traction limited in 1st and 2nd. 2000rpm launch, 6400rpm shifts. 2nd gear is sideways and I have to feather it until 3rd.

I've got to finish burning off these little 25" F60 street tires so that I can purchase some decent DOT bias plys for on it.

So far it seems to like the same front jetting as I had with the stealth, although I did jet up the rear 2 sizes for safety.

Street driveability is about the same as the Stealth. Maybe even a better idle? Now I need to hit the gas a little during a warm start when before all I had to do was hit the key.

65' Stang

393W Stroker, Wide Toploader 4 Spd, 9" 3:70 Posi

Victor Jr. Heads, Vic Jr. Intake, 750dp, 236/561 Solid Cam, 9.6CR, 1 3/4" Headers, Lakewood, Subframes, Caltracs

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dennis111 on 7/13/06 7:25pm ]</font>

·
Registered
908 Posts
That's a lot of MPH for that ET. You need traction, man, and lots of it! If that 60 ft were down around 1.80, you might be seeing low 13's.

Greg

·
Registered
373 Posts
I'm sure you know this Dennis, but get some tires!!

Your 60's are horrible. No offense
I have many time slips with mph right around yours with et's in the low 12's.

The seat of the pants feeling and fun factor will go up exponentially when your 60 foots go from 2.5 to 1.7.

I would suggest some sitcky Mickey's. You will wonder why you waited so long to get 'em.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Yikes...Im always trying to convince myself I could get by with the air gap intake on my planned stroker build this winter. Im somewhat surprised at the gain considering the mild cam and compression. Guess I might have to change my hood(what Im trying to avoid) and run the vic jr. :

With the description of your pass I think you could run high 11's with the right tire. I mean you 60 ft is no good, going sidways in sec, and your peddling the thing in third? There is a lot more there.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Wow 14.242 second quarter at 108.6mph?? Man with that MPH with just decent street tire traction and 2.0 60ft you could be hitting mid 12s absolutely no problem... and if you were actually getting traction your MPH would go up to at least 110mph, meaning you'd be closer to low 12s. With 245/45/17 street tires on my 3300lb pickup with a little 289 I'm only getting 104mph but with a 2.0 60ft and 13.4 et... so at the end of the track I'm a full second ahead of you, but you're going 5mph faster!

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
On 2006-07-13 05:52, Vinyl66 wrote:
I'm sure you know this Dennis, but get some tires!!

Your 60's are horrible. No offense
I have many time slips with mph right around yours with et's in the low 12's.

The seat of the pants feeling and fun factor will go up exponentially when your 60 foots go from 2.5 to 1.7.

I would suggest some sitcky Mickey's. You will wonder why you waited so long to get 'em.
Certainly no offense is taken as I know what needs to be done.

Yeah, I definitely tires are long overdue, as are some decent racing shocks. With summer here and 2 vacations planned, money is a little tight. I do most of my modding in the winter months when the credit card doesn't mind it so much.

I really need to stop playing with the motor and spend some time reworking the rear suspension.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
On 2006-07-13 09:37, qtrhors wrote:
Yikes...Im always trying to convince myself I could get by with the air gap intake on my planned stroker build this winter. Im somewhat surprised at the gain considering the mild cam and compression. Guess I might have to change my hood(what Im trying to avoid) and run the vic jr. :

With the description of your pass I think you could run high 11's with the right tire. I mean you 60 ft is no good, going sidways in sec, and your peddling the thing in third? There is a lot more there.
I hear ya. I originally built my stoker thinking that the Stealth was going to be the most performance oriented intake I could fit under a stock type hood. I planned my whole build around that fact, which is why I have the smallish cam. I have since did a few mods to my car (low motor mounts, angle milled the vic jr. carb plate, and made an ultrashort dropped 14"air cleaner) which gave me 1/2" hood clearance after the Vic Jr. installation.
I have nearly unbelievable drivability, and can accelerate in 4th gear from 1500rpm with virtually no bucking. It is a fun, fun ride.

The Stealth is rated for idle to 6500 on a standard sized 351w. By the time you stroke it and add another 40 cubes, that manifold should peter out at less than 6000. The Vic Jr. manifold is supposed to be good to 7000 on a normal 351 so I am good to go with my 6400 shifts-I am just getting to the end of its powerband. Definitely what a Stroker needs.

A small cam with the big heads is a proven combination for a mostly street motor. The big valve heads have helped to extend the range of the small cam. Torque/hp seems flat and I am sure I could push the RPM's higher as I am still making good power when I shift.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts