Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking for a yoke for my new TCI C-6 transmission and a little confused on what to get found some on Summit racing but I dont want to get something that is going to be my week point in my running gear so what do you all recomnend?

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
Ductile iron is probably what the original Ford yokes are made of. (?) Irregardless, since both yokes are ductile iron, neither will have a significant strength difference from the either (if any.) For more strength, step up to a billet yoke.

1350 and 1330 refer to U Joint sizes. The 1350 is bigger and stronger than the 1330. Your driveshaft must also match the joint used and will need to play in your decision.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Dennis,

ok maybe you all can help.. I am currently deployed and trying to get all this stuff to my house so when I get home I can intall it and not waiting on parts. my car is a factory 428 car so I would guess that it is the 1350 u joint and not the 1330.

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
Thank you Dennis,

ok maybe you all can help.. I am currently deployed and trying to get all this stuff to my house so when I get home I can intall it and not waiting on parts. my car is a factory 428 car so I would guess that it is the 1350 u joint and not the 1330.
There is NO chance that it would have a 1350 joint as they were not used in cars/light trucks (from the factory.) More than likely it is a 1330. I say that because there is also a light duty 1310 U joint, but I would suspect that it wouldn't be found in a 428 car. I am not sure that the 1310 ever came with the C6 31 spline pattern. A 1330 joint is plenty strong for a street ride.

I understand your situation, but Summit ships daily and it might be best to wait for items that are iffy or wait and order them a week or so before returning home so that you will still have the option to return it if it is wrong.

Thank you for your service. :tup: My oldest son is currently playing in the middle east sand.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for all your help Ya I will wait till I get home, I have been over here for almost 9 months.. If you son is in the sand then my Planes are over head protecting him..

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
Ya I will wait till I get home...
+1. Big blocks (390+) are 1330 series almost 100% of the time. Not related to your 428 setup as you don't need them - but Ford actually did use 1350 U-joints on truck and van shafts - usually the long wheelbase models. One pickup 2-piece shaft (to build one 1-piece shaft), one yoke and one pinion flange is a cheap(er) route to a 1350 setup. Well, it beats a full custom or aftermarket setup.

Trivia: Also note the rear joint on a 428 car is not a true 1330 series, but actually one called a Cleveland series joint (not related to the Cleveland engine), though you will confuse the hell out of a counter person if you say that. While dimensions are almost a direct swap, the rear axle pinion joint has two of it's caps (in the yoke) 1/16" larger, so two caps are 1-1/16 and two are 1.125". While this seems odd and inconvenient, it's to prevent crushing the caps as easily with the U-bolt retainers. U-bolt nut torque is 15-18 ft/lb, but some folks wail on them and this can distort the caps, causing rapid joint failure due to bearing binding. Bottom-line is to check your actual joint width, clip type on each (inside, outside, or none but with U-bolts) and diameter of the caps to be sure stuff will fit.
:tup:
David

1 - 7 of 7 Posts