Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sorry,

another dumb question from the dummy:

I've got a 390/cruso setup. I'm going to rebuild a c6 to mate to the 390. The old beat up flexplate that came with the tranny has 184 teeth. After some searching, I think the engine my c6 was mated to might have been a 428. I've seen flexplates for 390s listed with 164 teeth. I realize I'll be changing starters with the transmission swap, but I'm thinking also about bolting to the crankshaft. What flexplate do I need?

from the land of confusion

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Tell the parts store that the car is a 68 Galaxie 390 c-6. You'll get the right one.

·
Registered
330 Posts
OK, just went through this myself!

My 64 had the early flexplate, 164. When it committed suicide, I pick up a newer one, listed something like 68-76 pickup. It was from Pioneer and was 184 teeth. So that meant I needed a newer starter.

Originally, I had an older starter with the long neck, where the bendix pulls inward to engage the flexplate. I needed one where it flings out. So I ordered a newer one and the damn solenoid hit the exhaust manifold. I tried a couple manufacturers and had the same problem.

I ordered a clockable starter from Robb Mc Performance http://www.robbmcperformance.com/products/fordat_starter.html after being recommended on this forum. They shipped me one up to Canada, cheaper than a "performance" starter locally supplied.

Totally satisfied with my new combo!

Bottom Line - Early 60s FP 164 teeth, old style starter - Newer late 60s/early 70s FP 184 teeth, new style starter.

ps - My first FP was unbalanceable at the machine shop. Way out of whack! The welds were terrible. The replacement was right on for weight. The good one was made in the US. Lets just say the other one wasn't.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Gordo on 11/27/06 10:31am ]</font>

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gordo,

Thanks for the advice. Was the Pioneer the flexplate you eventually went with?

sean

1 - 6 of 6 Posts