Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to try to get some info on the Duraspark II ignition systems. I pulled it from my 1980 T-Bird and have gone all MSD, but still have the entire system. I have heard that these ignitions are decent, but does anyone have opinions on these setups? Can they be "hopped up" with aftermarket add-ons? Also what years were these systems used on? Thanks

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
When I did my 85 motor and tranny to 79 capri swap, i used a MSD box in conjunction with the Duraspark, that was because I did not buy the MSD dist., I used the directions that tied the MSD into the Duraspark, and that was about 8 or 9 years ago and it is still working fine. It would easier to use the MSD box and dist. and just replace the Duraspark and all its components. With the limited time I had working with the Duraspark I cant say I had any issues and there was always plenty of spark.

·
Registered
355 Posts
You would only need to hop up if you plan to rev over 6500 or go over 6000 with juice. I have used a duraspark off and on for years and love 'em. They are superior in every way to points, and for the price ($20 in any scrap yard including harness) can't be beat.

(Make sure to get the stock distributor too)

·
Registered
37 Posts
If you notice, the magnetic pickup inside the duraspark dist. is the same setup as the
MSD distributors.

Must mean its a good setup.
For higher rpms it needs a different coil and box to be efficient.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts