Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the Duraspark II distributor module polarity sensitive?
If so, how do i test it to be sure it is wired correctly?
Many thanks to all....jack

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
FE: I did follow the diagram when i built my harness. But the module wires in my distributor are all black wires. So i had to guess which of the black wires to connect to the orange and purple ones.This is why i was asking if there was a way to determine correct polarity. Thank you for your reply...jack

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
FE: I did follow the diagram when i built my harness.

But the module wires in my distributor are all black wires. So i had to guess which of the black wires to connect to the orange and purple ones.

This is why i was asking if there was a way to determine correct polarity.

Thank you for your reply...jack
...sheesh...

Is the color of your STATOR BLUE or BLACK? If BLACK, they were defective from the get-go. Replace with the correct MOTORCRAFT replacement.

·
Registered
10,309 Posts
It's easy to test a VR sensor (like the DS stator) for polarity. And, yes, it's important. The leads are tested for a (+) to (-) voltage swing as the tooth passes the stator. Unfortunately, I'm out-of-town and can't tell you which color wires the correct polarity connects to until I can get back in a few days to test one for you. Perhaps someone else has one handy to test with.

David

·
Registered
10,309 Posts
OK, I checked a distributor here. Looking at the stator, there are two wires, one above the other. The top wire will go to the box ORANGE wire. The bottom wire will go to the box PURPLE wire.

Where the wires leave the distributor, a third ground wire is attached to the breaker plate right next to the grommet. This wire should emerge as the bottom wire and corresponds to the BLACK wire on the diagrams.

To verify your stator is wired the same, attach a volt meter at lowest setting (under 2 volts). Attach the RED meter lead to the bottom stator wire, and the BLACK meter lead to the top stator wire. When viewed from the top, rotating the shaft CCW, the meter should read slightly positive voltage and then swing to slightly negative voltage as a tooth passes the center of the stator pickup. You don't have to spin it - just turning it slowly should show the tiny voltages while watching one tooth.

If it tests as stated, then the color matches above are correct. If it tests opposite for some reason (I tested a later blue stator), then the OR/PU wires are reversed. HTH

David

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
OK, I checked a distributor here. Looking at the stator, there are two wires, one above the other. The top wire will go to the box ORANGE wire. The bottom wire will go to the box PURPLE wire.

Where the wires leave the distributor, a third ground wire is attached to the breaker plate right next to the grommet. This wire should emerge as the bottom wire and corresponds to the BLACK wire on the diagrams.

To verify your stator is wired the same, attach a volt meter at lowest setting (under 2 volts). Attach the RED meter lead to the bottom stator wire, and the BLACK meter lead to the top stator wire. When viewed from the top, rotating the shaft CCW, the meter should read slightly positive voltage and then swing to slightly negative voltage as a tooth passes the center of the stator pickup. You don't have to spin it - just turning it slowly should show the tiny voltages while watching one tooth.

If it tests as stated, then the color matches above are correct. If it tests opposite for some reason (I tested a later blue stator), then the OR/PU wires are reversed. HTH

David
David: You have my sincere thanks for your thoughtful answer to my polarity question. I have posted this question on other forums, but yours was the only answer that directly applied to my very direct question. I admire your attention to detail. Again, thanks...jack

P.S. I used an analog meter set on .05mA scale. The transition from positive to negative is quite obvious. Now i know i have it correctly wired.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts