Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having trouble with my DII ignition I have installed on my Falcon (351C).
When I connect the white wire to the "s" terminal on the solenoid the engine quits. It will start and run with it not connected. Is this a fault with the Dii pack or am I missing something?

Thanks,

·
Registered
688 Posts
The White wire is an ignition timing retard to make staring the engine a little easier on the starter motor. If it starts fine with out it just leave it unhooked. Could be a problem with the solinoid or maybe ign switch is grounding out the solinoid start wire when not cranking take a test light and go from the positive terminal of the battery to the S terminal on the solinoid it should not light if it dose it could be your problem

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With a test probe only, not a meter, I have no voltage at the solenoid except the battery terminal. Once the engine is running, I get a dim glow on my test light on the disconnected white wire. So there is voltage on the white wire. If I touch this to the "S" terminal, the engine dies. Should the "S" terminal be connected to ground internally? I need a drawing of the insides of the terminal. I may have a faulty solenoid!

Gord

·
Registered
688 Posts
Reverse you test light hook test clip to s terminal and hold the probe to the POSITIVE side of the battery that will tell you if solinoid is grounding on that terminal

·
Premium Member
3,934 Posts
Why aren't you using the I terminal?

Although the S terminal will feed when cranking, the I terminal is completely disconnected after the solenoid kicks out and has no chance of backfeeding

·
Registered
688 Posts
Why aren't you using the I terminal?

Although the S terminal will feed when cranking, the I terminal is completely disconnected after the solenoid kicks out and has no chance of backfeeding
Good Call...DUH!....Would still give him the retard signal when cranking..one of them simple solutions that is easy to over look.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had thought of that also, just curious why I need to do this! I found a schematic ofthe solenoid. I will trace it out and see what's up!

Gordo

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When I wire the white wire to the "I" terminal., I get a constant 8V on the white wire now, being backfed from the coil power. Don't know if this is a good idea!

Gordo

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also, with the engine running, I get 10V on the white wire with it disconnected!

Gordo

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am using a ballast resistor. How do I get tempoary 12v at the coil for starting?

·
Registered
688 Posts
As long as you using a coil designed for duraspark you do not need the resistor full 12 volts to the coil is fine. the reason for balance resistors was to cut down on the voltage to the points to keep the from arcing

here is a better diagram

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I thought coil life was also dependant on reduced voltage? On the bottom of the drawing it says "12v in start only". That insinuates that the voltage will drop once it's running. The diagram shows a constant 12v off the key. Maybe I should buy a coil that will take a constant 12v and be done with it!

Gordo

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
As long as you using a coil designed for duraspark you do not need the resistor full 12 volts to the coil is fine. the reason for balance resistors was to cut down on the voltage to the points to keep the from arcing

here is a better diagram
diagram has the white wire in the wrong place

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Explain please!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you read all my posts, you will see that I agree. What is the correct wiring?

·
Registered
688 Posts
I thought coil life was also dependant on reduced voltage? On the bottom of the drawing it says "12v in start only". That insinuates that the voltage will drop once it's running. The diagram shows a constant 12v off the key. Maybe I should buy a coil that will take a constant 12v and be done with it!

Gordo
Yes it should only get 12v when cranking and 0v when running not reduced voltage white wire is for start timing retard

explain ! hoh does it run when wired that way ?
S term. becomes a ground in run position
It should not become a ground in run! if it is the sol has a problem.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I doubt it's the solenoid, I just tried a brand new one with the same result.

·
Registered
688 Posts
ok is the coil still hooked up to the sol? if so try un hooking the coil from the I terminal and hook the white wire to the S terminal

1 - 20 of 40 Posts