Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
fordmuscle has helped me with numerous things, so I'm hoping this one will get solved. Bought a duraspark distributor from a swapmeet - supposed to be 351/302/389 duraspark. It doesn't fit the distributor bore. I was wondering if I could take out the mechanical parts of my 289 distributor, and put the duraspark components in there and make it work? I'm going to get the MSD6AL with it, so that part is solved. thoughts? Thanks.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Yes you should be able to swap the top end of the distributor out..I did this many years ago with a 429..I didn't have an electronic distributor for it so I took the parts from a small block duraspark and swapped them into the 429 points housing...Just make sure the slot for the timing advance is the same..It will have a number stamped into it...

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
if it doesn't fit you need to figure out what you have before you start swaping parts.

·
Registered
113 Posts
351W distributors are not the same as 289/302 distributors. The oil pump shaft hole in th ebottom of the shaft is a different size and the length may also be different but I'm not sure about that.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Hello all,
fordmuscle has helped me with numerous things, so I'm hoping this one will get solved. Bought a duraspark distributor from a swapmeet - supposed to be 351/302/389 duraspark. It doesn't fit the distributor bore. I was wondering if I could take out the mechanical parts of my 289 distributor, and put the duraspark components in there and make it work? I'm going to get the MSD6AL with it, so that part is solved. thoughts? Thanks.
Thats what I run in my FE since Durasparks are hard to get for them.
Take both apart to the advance weights (clean the advance mechanism while you are in there). Test the fit of the upper shaft and reassmble.
You will need to cut a notch in the body so the wiring can go out of the dizzy. Notch should be where the wire hole is now.

Will make a very good low dollar dizzy for you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts