Engine specs:347ci
600cfm Ebrock,,Ford Motor Sport intake
Ported 51cc 289 heads 1.84in. 1.54ex.
cam:512lift 230 [email protected] 109LC
Crane roller rockers
KB 16cc reverse dome pistons
stock oil pump,,single point marine distributer,,accel super stock coil
Headers size ????
91octane gas.....That's about it.....Let the guessing commence.....
Russ...

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
The carb is going to be the 'cork' in the system. Those E-boks seem to be a bit overrated. If going with Edelbrock, I'd use a 750.

Another thing, Edelbrock carbs come from the factory jetted pretty lean. You'll want to take one of their 'calibration kits' with you to the dyno. You'll probably be swapping jets and metering rods.

Edelbrock makes an excellent street carb. I like them far better than the basic 600 and 750 vacuum Holleys, but they do need a little richening for max power, and the 600 should be reserved for only the mildest of engines. For max power, I'd use a 650DP Holley, preferably set up by Bigs.

I guess this is an engine, not chassis dyno...

Good Luck!

·
Registered
123 Posts
i don't have one of them there fancy hp programe but, i say ummmm 300/320.. max hp @ 5800.
good luck, ron.

'91 gt, 357", track heat heads, victor efi upper/lower, custom comp cams retro roller, nitrous works 260 hp 2-stage plate, 3800 10" no2 converter, holley digital ignition, bbk/edelbrock 75 mm throttly body, homebuilt c-4 (a big thanks to gregaust ) 4.10 gear. no weight removal 3460# w/driver. best et so far (1/8th mi): 7.46 @ 90mph n/a ....w/150hp spray 7.08 @ 102 mph.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rj on 6/11/02 9:52pm ]</font>

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
I agree, the Edelbrock carb will leave you very dissapointed. Not only is 600cfm not nearly enough for a 347, but as mentiond, the E carbs simply dont make good power (great for economy)

I suspect you will short yourself 40 HP with an edelbrock...

My favorite real-world experience with Ebrock carbs...I was at a Shelby racing event at Sears Point a few years back. I met the Edelbrocks -Vic himself, his two daughters.. .they were all racing, two vintage GT350's, and vic was in a Yenko Camaro or something of that rarity. ANyway I noticed all the motors had the usual Edelbrock parts...heads, manifolds, etc... but NONE of them had an ebrock carb.

So I asked Vic, why that was...and he straight up looked me in the eye and said, "Holleys hands down make more power."

I think you can't prove the point any more than that!

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
Gee, I'm surprised that the 600 cfm Edelbrock carb is inadequate for 347 cubes. Were you guys thinking 600 was not enough for the strip? I've got one on my 302 right now, and planned to use it on the 347 I'm building for the street. I expect the Edel 600 cfm would be perfect to feed an aluminum headed 347 built for all bottom and mid-range torque and crisp throttle response. I've got a 2700 lb. car with a T-5Z. What do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
On 2002-06-11 13:02, HankyJ wrote:
Gee, I'm surprised that the 600 cfm Edelbrock carb is inadequate for 347 cubes. Were you guys thinking 600 was not enough for the strip? I've got one on my 302 right now, and planned to use it on the 347 I'm building for the street. I expect the Edel 600 cfm would be perfect to feed an aluminum headed 347 built for all bottom and mid-range torque and crisp throttle response. I've got a 2700 lb. car with a T-5Z. What do you guys think?

Absolutely not enough air. Will it run, sure. But put a 700 or 750 holley, vac sec, on there and you will have all the low end (probably more i bet) and you'll see the mid to top end power/torque increase big time. My bet is a 600 edelbrock gives up nearly 50HP peak to a Holley 750 DP. Perhaps 35 to a vac sec holley.

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
That's good information to have. Thanks. I wanted to use as many of the parts I currently have on my 302 as possible, but I don't want to starve the 347 either.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for input....It will be a engine dyno and we plan to run a 780cfm holly just to see how that works ....The Ebrock is what I have and what i'll be running for now....Thanks for chewing my Ebrock all to sh*t
I know the carb is a little small but this is not a drag motor...marine....And if I did go to a 750Ebrock the next bottle neck is my 289 heads...Remember I asked for #'s

What's your guess Holly and Ebrock
My guess and hope 360hp 5800rpm and 370lbs.torque at 4500rpm..

Russ...That's with the Edel brock

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Russ on 6/12/02 7:16am ]</font>

·
Registered
136 Posts
The edelbrock may be a little small for the 347, but do not discount it completely. I have one on my car (see my car). The track times and the dyno were with the edelbrock. I now also have a bigg's 650. I have not got the bigg's carb completely tuned yet and I do not have track times or dyno info on it.

I just changed the butterfly's back to stock (no air bleeds) on the bigg's. I believe the air bleeds drilled in the bigg's butterflys are too much for my cam. I have not been able to get a good idle or off-idle with it.

Reading all the negative comments about the edelbrock, it seems that I may be able to break the 300 hp (at the wheels) with the bigg's.

You will definitely need an assortment of jets and metering rods to tune the edelbrock. Mine works fantastic on the street (especially idle and low-end). It also did great on the dyno 285 hp and 307 ft. lbs. 260 ft. lbs. at 2000 rpm.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I think your guess of 360 hp is right on, assuming a real good port job on the heads.

By the way, my last post, my engine is a 306 with a tiny cam.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have enough jets and rods to jet that 600 to the moon....Thursday is "D" day tomorrow I hall it to the dyno shop and bolt it up...I'll post all results,,with holly and Ebrock....Starting jets and rods:.100main jet with (.068x.042)rods and .101 secondary
Oh,,,The C.R. is about 10:1....I'm a little excited but at the same time a little worried that it won't have the power i'm looken for...O well good,bad,or in between I'll know....Dyno's don't lie...
Russ..

·
Registered
136 Posts
Russ,

I just checked my records, my dyno and track times were with 104 primary 70/42 rods and 104 secondary jets. That is on a 306 with a much smaller cam. The air/fuel ratio was in the high 12's on the dyno. If you have not already, you may want to check my car (66 coupe) I know it says bigg's 650 but the dyno and track times were with the edelbrock 600.

Bring all your jets and rods to the dyno. Good luck! I will be waiting for the results. It will be interesting to see between the 2 different carbs.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Got on the dyno early.....Here's my #'s
Ebrock 600cfm First [email protected] [email protected]
best pull with Ebrock...386.2 [email protected] [email protected]
Holly 780cfm first [email protected] [email protected]
best pull with [email protected]

[email protected]
I'm happy with the power...We had point gremlins at 5300rpm....I'll switch to electronic....with that torque I won't need more than 5000rpm in my boat anyway...I'm beat,,,,been a long day....I'll fill you in on the jets,,timing and all the other stuff tomorrow......
I had a blast flog'en the sh*t out of that little ford...It ran sweet right to 5300rpm but then it was point rev limit time.....
Russ.....

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Congrats on a successful day. Very nice #'s. Especially that torque. Although my guess was high, I bet with a better dist you'd make another 25 hp.

Thanks for the info. And yes I can understand your exhaustion. My wife accused me of suffering from post partum blues after I came down from the "dyno high".

·
Registered
46 Posts
oops, i didnt notice the second page where you posted your dyno results untill after i made my post. Congratulations on your good results anyway!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ant123 on 6/13/02 1:12pm ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ant123 on 6/13/02 1:14pm ]</font>

·
Registered
1 Posts
Congratulations! those are great numbers. I bet you will see another 30 or more hp at about 5800 to 6000 with an electronic ignition. That cam deserves much higher rpm.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts