Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I'm hoping the gurus here can point me in the right direction.

I've tried D. Carpenter's, G. Donahue, Dearborn Classics, and Mac's all with no luck. I've got a picture of what I've got and a list of what I'm missing.

Here is what I've gathered up so far:

Here is a picture from the shop manual:

So what I figure, this is what I still need:

1 Retainer Clip
4 Hairpin Clevises
1 Seat
1 U-Clip
1 Clevis
1 Clevis Pin
2 Rear Cables
1 Front Cable

So, I'm thinking that the hairpin clevises and the u-clip I might be able to find at a good hardware store. The retainer clip I can likely make myself. The cables I've ordered and have on the way, but the rest of the stuff... Do any of you guys have advice on where to find these parts? Is there anything I'm missing or overlooking?

Thanks,

Al

·
Premium Member
5,388 Posts
I did exactly the same thing when I bought my '63 and found out that the complete park brake assembly was missing, including the bracket on the trans cross member which had been cut off.
I bought the cables from MACs. The clips etc are simply hardware stuff I found. Might not look like factory, but they work.

You might want to check this topic I started a couple years ago, with my finished result on the 3rd page.
http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/galaxie-pages/492263-63-64-rear-park-brake-levers-jc.html

·
Premium Member
5,850 Posts
Here are e-brake pics from my 1965 manual. Note the detail on the crossmember. The equalizer rod goes in to the lever from the bottom and the spring is on top. If you do it the other way the spring will come undone.

Don't know how helpful this will be if you don't have a 65.

Attachments

·
Administrator
21,668 Posts
Not that mine is a '65 but now i need to look at mine cause the piece the cable goes into i was thinking is turned the other way so if the cable would break or get real loose it wouldn't just fall out of the holder. But maybe that's the only way they go or the only way it fits and not hit the tail shaft. Which is why now i'm curious...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I did exactly the same thing when I bought my '63 and found out that the complete park brake assembly was missing, including the bracket on the trans cross member which had been cut off.
I bought the cables from MACs. The clips etc are simply hardware stuff I found. Might not look like factory, but they work.

You might want to check this topic I started a couple years ago, with my finished result on the 3rd page.
http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/galaxie-pages/492263-63-64-rear-park-brake-levers-jc.html
So what did you do in substitution of the seat? That is the deep cup looking part in the diagram which I believe the front cable spring sits in prior to mating to the cross member.

Also, what did you do on the pedal end? I have a feeling I'm going to need that clevis piece, unless you were able to make that work from hardware store parts too.

EDIT: What else did the front cable come with? Did it come with the clevis, pin, and seat?

Tell me what ya know! :)

Thanks

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
The front cable runs in a sleve, all the way from the mechanism under the dash to the crossmember. There is no extra spring like the 65 pictured. Most of what you are missing is junk yard stuff.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
The clevis reminds me of the one on a fox 4 banger car with T5 that attaches the clutch cable.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I suppose worst case scenario I can make a clevis.

Secretly, I was hoping someone would jump out and say,

"I have the parts you're looking for!"

Lol, wishful thinking :)

·
Premium Member
5,388 Posts
I don't know what that seat is. The cable simply sits in position in the cross member, and then is clipped into place.
I was lucky with mine, to have a clevis with the pedal assembly. Wouldn't be hard to make something.
I think everything else will fall into place.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So, speaking of the clevis - I need a bit of help.

Would anyone be able to take a quick measurement for me?

I'm in the process of just making one from scratch and I need the distance from the the hole center-line to bottom of the clevis as shown:

I just want to be sure I'm within the ballpark of how Ford intended it.

Thanks in advance if you can help!

-Al

·
Premium Member
5,388 Posts
It's pretty close to 1 3/16" or around 30mm or so.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1 - 12 of 12 Posts