Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the Motorsports E303( Edelbrock performer roller, crane 2040) cam produce good idle and vacuum?
I have the performer heads on a 289. 9.5 comp. ratio. FMS and Edelbrock says to use the single springs that come with thier heads! Crane and Comp cams says you must use a double spring! Is this because the cam mfg's are considering stock heads?

·
Registered
456 Posts
My friend has the B303 in his 87 Mustang GT. Little more duration but not as much lift as the E303. But it has a nice choppy idle to his car and he doesn't have any vacuum problems.

I'd go with what Edelbrock recommends since you are using their heads. Edelbrock designs every thing to work as a package. I've never had any problems with using their matched packages. Everything worked smoothly together.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Use the springs that the cam manufacturer recommends, not he springs that the head manufacturer recommends. The people that make the head don't have a clue what kind of cam you are using. The springs must match the cam.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Edelbrock and Ford motorsport is sold as a package with heads,intake, and cam. Obviously the heads are assembled with the single springs they recommend! However Crane sells the same cam (2040) but recommends a double spring.
I guess I should flip a coin.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Have you converted the 289 to roller cam? The
E303 is for the roller cam 302 or you can use
retrofit lifters to make it work in your 289.
unless I'm missing something?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Currently a hydrolic flat tappet but looking for more torque. Yes,retro roller lifters are in mind.
289 60over-flat top pistons
Edelbrock performer heads 9.5 comp 1.90&1.60
duel plane intake
Demon 625 carb
Accel 300 race ignition including distributor
1.58 long mac headers and 2chamber muffs
Lunati 228-235 @50 .515 w/1.7 roller rockers
C4 2700 stall w/Gear vendor overdrive
3.55 rings w/locker

Runs great at 6500.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would still like to hear from somebody useing the E303 and a auto trans! What kind of idle lope? vacuum? Anyone?

·
Registered
359 Posts
I haven't personally used the E303 but a freind or mine did, had a very mild lope at least by my stanards

no problems with anything to this date although he was useing a 5 speed

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
well considering that it is an emmisions legal cam, you can bet that its idle is going to be about as close to stock as you can get. I would not hesitate running it with an auto.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm using the E303 in a carbureted 302. It's backed up by a C4 auto, TCI Saturday Night Special Convertor, and 3.25 gears. I'm running the GT40 aluminum heads.

Pulls 16in of vacuum. Nice idle - slight lope. Pulls strong from 2500 to 6200 redline. Running 13.91 in the 1/4 and 18mpg hiway w/o overdrive. Seems a little soft below 2000, but not bad. Overall, I'm very pleased - good compromise.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: GT350Clone on 1/2/02 9:54pm ]</font>

1 - 10 of 10 Posts