Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be placing an order for a 94-96 302 long block reman crate motor from PTP. It comes with the stock F4TE-6250-BA truck/explorer cam. Ive seen it said numerous times that it stops pulling at 3500 rpm. Ive also seen lots say they pull to 6000 rpm.

Well this is being transplanted into a 82 truck as a upgrade over the smog engine that is in the truck. So I have been told the F4TE cam is a great cam for bottom end and mid range torque. I was told do some light port work, remove the thermactor bumps from the exhaust and port match the intake and exhaust and blend into the bowls then throw in some 1.7 rockers and it will pull to 5500 rpm.

My big question is since this is an assembled long block I really don't like the thought of wasting a head gasket by pulling the heads and disassembling them to do this port work. So my question is porting on some E7 heads is it worth going to the trouble with running 1.7 rockers?

I could probably stuff the exhaust and use a burr bit and smooth off the thermactor bumps in the exhaust then port match exhaust and intake. Just not sure if I want to risk going deeper into the bowl area to blend in and run the risk of shavings falling into the engine itself.

This truck is a daily driver and I will be doing some towing with it, I just want to get the engine squared away where it will pull to 5,000 rpm so I don't have to worry about falling flat on its face if I need to pass someone. I was looking at going with a crane cam but that thing is only showing up a small 20 hp increase and 25 ft lb torque increase. Only thing it has going is it stays above 300 ft lbs to 4200 rpm vs the F4TE dropping off at 3,500 rpm.

Anyways what does everyone think about porting E7 heads that are already assembled and installed on the block? is it worth it to try and do it on the engine or just do minor work like removing thermactor bumps and port matching?

·
Registered
987 Posts
First thing is if your going to do ANY grinding on the heads remove them from the block!

Unshrouding the valves and blending the bowels plus port matching will be power you can feel.
I've done this on a 289 with a mild cam an was very satisfied with the results.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
First thing is if your going to do ANY grinding on the heads remove them from the block!

Unshrouding the valves and blending the bowels plus port matching will be power you can feel.
I've done this on a 289 with a mild cam an was very satisfied with the results.
That's the thing, I was hoping I could do something to these heads to improve them without removal. Seeing as this is a long block with a 4 year warranty they have paint marks on all the bolts to show if the engine was disassembled or not.

Plus I don't know exactly what thickness head gasket they used. Hate to go with X head gasket and find out they used a thinner Y gasket to raise compression.

But if I have to I would consider doing it. Just never really done port work on automotive cylinder heads before. Closest I got was doing some port matching on a 80cc jug on a 2 cycle bike engine which is not the same thing.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
I'd think your porting would void the warranty, even if you don't remove the heads, so don't let that prevent you from doing it properly. If you want a warranty, leave it alone. If you want more power, modify it, or buy a hopped up crate engine with warranty.

·
Registered
307 Posts
porting a head on the engine is a bad ideal. You can not get to the ports and do a good job on them. You need to remove the head and remove the values to get to the bowels . You also need to clean the heads real good after you have ported them.Call Comp cam and ask them what cam the make that will fit your need.With the heads ported,a right cam,dual plane intake,stock rockers,small four barrel carb. You should see a large improvement all around in performance. I had a 74 Bronco that I put a 92 roller motor into with home ported heads ,E303 cam,aftermarket springs,Edelbrock performer intake and a 600cfm holly.It ran great and towed my 21 foot boat great.Roger

·
Registered
60 Posts
It is the CAM that stops pulling. The E7 heads will easily support up to 5,000 rpm without a problem. Probably a little more. Port work should only be done OFF of the engine. The elephant in the room is the following: Porting heads with a cam that stops pulling is not going to net you as much as addressing the elephant. You are pulling a portion of the engine apart regardless. Why not buy a 5.0 HO cam or even an E303 cam and be done with it. It makes no sense to port the heads when the engine is till going to wheeze out WAY before you want it too. The stock 5.0 HO roller idles smooth, pulls good vacuum and has a pretty broad power range.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts