Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m getting ready for the 289 to 351 swap and I’m mapping some of this out.
I have the 5 bolt bell housing in the car now, as it is an early model ’65. Should I just plan on replacing it with the 6 or are there other options? I have the standard 4 speed transmission in it now. Will I have difficulty in finding a suitable bell housing or should I just plan on replacing it too? More importantly will that transmission handle the 351’s torque? Could I possibly have a problems with the splines on the input shaft aligning with the engine?

Since this is an early model ’65 the motor mounts are similar to those used in the ’63 falcons with the 260, single pole. I foresee this being a problem.. Can I use a body insulator bracket that bolts to the cross member form a later model that will accommodate the needed motor mount or will I have to rig something?

Whew .. I’m starting to think I should just rebuild the original 289 and sell this block I bought.

Again I thank you for your continued wisdom. and thanks you to those that have answered my previous questions.
-Mark

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Mark,

When you say standard 4 speed trans, is it a T10 or a Toploader? Also are you going to "stroke" the 351W into a 427 or anything other than 351 inches? The reason is the T10 isn't going to take as much as the Toploader, and maybe stroking a 5 bolt 289 is a better option.

Andy

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well it is a T-10 and I had no plans to Stroke the 351. However, I did plan on going a little agressive on the cam and it is already .030 over, bought it that way. Sounds like adding a transmission to my parts list would be wise.... What would be the recommentation?

thnx
Mark

·
Registered
59 Posts
You can probably find a good used T-5 at the junkyard but if you want to spend a few bucks a new bulletproof Tremec 3550 can be had for around $1300.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
You can use your existing motor mounts. No need to use the later type.The 351 will bolt right up to them.I don't know what swap headers you have but the Hedmans will work with your early mount set-up.
Being a C4 type I don't know much about 4speeds but would think all you would need is a 6 bolt bellhousing that mates to a T10 and you would be good to go.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Just Jim on 5/3/02 9:40am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
If you want a four speed, more originality, and higher rpms on the highway get a Toploader. If you want another gear and lower rpms get a Tremec. I've seen pictures of a Tremec and a T-5 side by side with the gears showing. The Tremec gears are quite a bit bigger and stronger. Plus there are lots of ways to run a clutch for the Tremec in an early Mustang. Hydraulic or Cable. I think you can run an 11" clutch too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts