Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
After finally getting some wheels that I really like on my fastback, it was clearly time to upgrade the old drum brakes.

Don't those drums look crappy behind the wheels?

Having looked at several different front disc conversion kits, I decided to go with the Street or Track 13" kit.

Below is the install of the kit on my fastback. It is a very easy and straight forward process. Obviously the first thing you need to do is get the front of the car off the ground and remove the wheels and tires. Make sure to use a good set of jack stands.

Next completely remove all existing drum components from the spindles. I left the backing plate and hose attached to keep the system from draining.

Now you are ready to begin the install.

Everything you need is supplied in the kit along with some of the best instructions you will ever find :cool: . I purchased the hubs seperatly from Street or Track. They come cleaned and painted with new studs installed.

The brackets for the kit are fully CNC machined and are works of art. They mate flawlessly with the spindles. Pay no attention to the fat bald man in the following images ;) .

Passenger side.

Now it's time to install the hubs.

Make sure to pack the bearings with good quality grease. I used Mobil1 synthetic.

BTW, you have to wear your ST shirt during the install.

Slide the new hubs onto the spindle.

Tighten the retaining nut and insert the cotter pin.

Seat the dust cap with a rubber mallet.

Once this is done slide one of the hub-centric adapter shims over the snout of the hub with the larger O.D. toward the hub.

Now you can mount the rotors.

Calipers are next. I went with the snazzy Ford light blue.

Torque the caliper retaining bolts to 100 ft-lbs.

Once this is done remove your old brake lines and install the new braided lines.

Everything installed.

Now it's time to bleed the system and get the wheels and tires back on.

They fill the wheels up quite nicely :cool:!

The difference in braking performance is nothing short of phenomenal. The car stops straight and in much shorter distances. The brakes are easily modulated and give great feed back through the pedal.

I could not be happier :) .

Now I just need to get discs on the rear.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Re: Street or Track 13" brake kit install

Nice!! Did you need to change the MC or add a proportioning valve?

·
Registered
51 Posts

wow looks awesome but i noticed that you may have the wrong rotor for that side of the car i believe the fins need to roll to the front of the car maybe just switch sides? correct me if im wrong!

·
Registered
190 Posts
who makes those wheels and what size?
I might be wrong but with 13" rotors i think you have to have at least a 17" rim,but how wide?
what size tires?
thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

You made that look way too easy. Looks great. What did the kit set you back?
Thanks.

The kit cost me $1099.00. The price includes a $100.00 core charge for the hubs. They even send you a box and pre-paid shipping label with your kit to return your old hubs.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Nice!! Did you need to change the MC or add a proportioning valve?
Not yet, but it is being installed this weekend. I thought I could get away with my original MC as the bore size is about right and it works pretty well but a MC will help the kit perform better. I will also be installing a prop valve at the same time as the car currently has a bit too much rear brake.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

wow looks awesome but i noticed that you may have the wrong rotor for that side of the car i believe the fins need to roll to the front of the car maybe just switch sides? correct me if im wrong!
Nope, the fins are supposed to roll to the back of the vehicle.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
who makes those wheels and what size?
I might be wrong but with 13" rotors i think you have to have at least a 17" rim,but how wide?
what size tires?
thanks
You are correct with 13" rotors you need a 17" wheel. The wheels on my car are 17x8 with 4.75" backspacing.

They are Centerline Meteors

Center Line Wheels

·
Registered
121 Posts
Does anybody know if one of these kits would work on a '65 Comet spindle? Are the spindles the same on a '65 Comet and a '65 Mustang?
-Greg

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Does anybody know if one of these kits would work on a '65 Comet spindle? Are the spindles the same on a '65 Comet and a '65 Mustang?
-Greg
Greg,

The spindles are the same, so this kit will work.

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
-Greg
You can also switch to the big pin 70-73 Mustang spindle. If your going to the expense of 13" brakes then it wouldn't be much more to upgrade to stronger spindles at the same time.

·
Registered
745 Posts
what is the smallest diameter wheel that will work with the 13" discs? do they make a kit small enough to fit 14" or 15" cragars in the front?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
190 Posts
You can also switch to the big pin 70-73 Mustang spindle. If your going to the expense of 13" brakes then it wouldn't be much more to upgrade to stronger spindles at the same time.
good point
I hope i dont regret it as i kept my 65 Oem spindles with my Baer13" rotors, Bump Steer hiem joint,and aftermaket TCP crome moly control arms upgrades
have you seen any spindle failures?

·
Registered
9 Posts
good point
I hope i dont regret it as i kept my 65 Oem spindles with my Baer13" rotors, Bump Steer hiem joint,and aftermaket TCP crome moly control arms upgrades
have you seen any spindle failures?
I don't think you have anything to worry about on street tires. If you road race on slicks or bounce the front down at the strip then maybe thinking about upgrading to the bigger pin.

You can still use your Baer kit with 70-73 spindles. All you need to do is change the bearings and races in the hub to the 70-73 bearings. A12 & A13. ;)

The ball joints are the same so your control arms are ok but the pin on the bump steer kit is different...

·
Registered
190 Posts
I don't think you have anything to worry about on street tires. If you road race on slicks or bounce the front down at the strip then maybe thinking about upgrading to the bigger pin.

You can still use your Baer kit with 70-73 spindles. All you need to do is change the bearings and races in the hub to the 70-73 bearings. A12 & A13. ;)

The ball joints are the same so your control arms are ok but the pin on the bump steer kit is different...
thanks for info
I actually bought the bumpsteer kit from you (believe it was Baer)?
My alighnment Guru had to machine the part that bolts to spindle (turned on lathe)to get the geometry right
I run Total Control A-arms
It seems bitchen now and you can slam on the brakes at 100mph and almost let go of the wheel,where before it was darting like hell

1 - 20 of 32 Posts