Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've installed a similar conversion on my 72 Mercury Comet and must say it looks great and stops great, but it handles horrible! I have installed the Total control bump steer kit but have not actually adjusted for bump steer properly by removed the springs and used a bump steer gauge to check the spacer arrangement. I hope to get to this next week. Do you realize these 17" wheels weigh a lot more than the original? they also have a much shorter sidewall.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I've installed a similar conversion on my 72 Mercury Comet and must say it looks great and stops great, but it handles horrible! I have installed the Total control bump steer kit but have not actually adjusted for bump steer properly by removed the springs and used a bump steer gauge to check the spacer arrangement. I hope to get to this next week. Do you realize these 17" wheels weigh a lot more than the original? they also have a much shorter sidewall.
Yes the wheels and tires weigh more, but the larger contact patch and shorter sidewall more than make up for the extra weight in the handling department. Along with getting the proper bumpsteer settings, it sounds like you need a proper alignment.

Here are some good specs from OpenTracker racing products.

Tech Information
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle colSpan=3>ORP front end alignment Specs </TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3><CENTER>STREET SPECS * </CENTER></TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle width="35%">Caster:
+1.5° to +2.5°​
</TD><TD align=middle width="35%">Camber:
0 to -.5°​
</TD><TD align=middle width="30%">Toe:
1/8" in​
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE width=400 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=3><CENTER>STREET/PERFORMANCE * </CENTER></TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle width="35%">Caster:
+2.0° to +3.0°​
</TD><TD align=middle width="35%">Camber:
-.5° to -1.5°​
</TD><TD align=middle width="30%">Toe:
1/8" in​
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
* Caster and camber setting must be the same on both sides for proper handling

<TABLE cellPadding=3 width=500 bgColor=white border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=right>• </TD><TD>Read our featured article at FordMuscle.com about our Roller Spring Perch and how it can help improve the handling of your classic Mustang. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>​

·
Registered
13 Posts
Re: Street or Track 13" brake kit install

Mike:

This is the same kit I put on mine--I did the rears and the MC also.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #24

Mike:

This is the same kit I put on mine--I did the rears and the MC also.
How do you like it so far?

I'm saving up for the rear kit now, hopefully I will have it installed by next summer.

·
Registered
13 Posts

How do you like it so far?

I'm saving up for the rear kit now, hopefully I will have it installed by next summer.
Install was as easy as the fronts, except I had to do some piecing together, since I've swapped in an 8.8. Had to get brackets from a late-model source, but that all went well.

They look awesome too! I went with the red ponies on the front, and matching red calipers on the rear.

Should have pics this weekend, after I install the GT500Es.

If you're asking how I like driving with them, I'm not much help there. Going on 5 years, and I still haven't actually driven the car. :(

Maybe this summer?!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Vintagevenom and MustangSteve have had similar kits for years. I had a quick look at vintagevenoms site and their kit appears $150 less. The article while nice sure seems like an ad to me.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
The Tech Exchange is open to anybody or any organization who takes the time to perform the work and document through pictorial... this includes mfrs. Surprised more mfrs don't take advantage of it. Difference between the author of this article and the two vendors you mention is that "68FastWilliams" made the effort to document and post the pictorial here on FordMuscle. Kudos for him.

While FordMuscle frowns on vendors trolling the forums. Any vendor who adds to the site through the Tech Exchange deserves free promotion regardless of their agenda, even if there is one.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Vintagevenom and MustangSteve have had similar kits for years. I had a quick look at vintagevenoms site and their kit appears $150 less. The article while nice sure seems like an ad to me.
Well, I happen to know Shaun, the owner of StreetorTrack, the vendor for this kit, and I also know 68FastWilliams from VMF, and they aren't the same people. Believe it or not, it is possible to be a satisfied customer who is willing to say good things about a vendor that provides a good service.

And in the interest of full disclosure, yes, I'm running the same kit, front and rear, on my 67. Shaun took plenty of time, helped me find vendors for the parts I needed that he didn't carry (like the brackets for my 8.8 rearend), answered all my questions, even at 10 at night, and generally is the kind of person I like doing business with. I can't speak for 68FastWilliams, but I'm not getting any benefit from giving Shaun props, other than that warm fuzzy feeling you get when you say something nice about someone who deserves it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
If you are looking for an adjustable brake proportioning valve and prefer the stock look then I suggest this one from Speedwaymotors.com. I bought it and installed it on my loaded '66 Mustang couple and am quite happy with it. I especially like its size and material of construction as it appears much more stock than any of the commonly available aluminum pieces; and, the price was about $35. I kept the single master cylinder on the '66 but I had considered using an original Ford type propotioning valve. I used an SSB front disc kit but the original power drum brake system was plenty good enough for street use. The car even had the factory original drums on it.

Compact Adjustable Proportioning Valve

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I am not affiliated with Street or Track in any way other than the fact that Shaun and I have become friends due to our similar interests in these old machines.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Not the same kit. The kit in this article is a FULL/COMPLETE bolt on turn key kit. Calipers, pads, brackets, hoses, rotors, bearings, hubs, braided lines, banjo bolts, crush washers, spindle nut and dust cap kit etc. The rotors in this kit are NOT Cobra rotors and you will NOT have to use wheel spacers (say with your TTII wheels) with the rotors in this kit.

The SN95 Cobra rotor bracket kit (you refer to) that I, VV and Mustang Steve produce is a completely different product. In that kit, you buy the brackets and YOU piece together all the other components to make it work.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

·
Registered
10,309 Posts
If you are looking for an adjustable brake proportioning valve and prefer the stock look then I suggest this one from Speedwaymotors.com. I bought it and installed it on my loaded '66 Mustang couple and am quite happy with it. ...

Compact Adjustable Proportioning Valve

How is it on long braking, say down a hill or slowing from a drag run? I understand from Detrol's info that this is a flow proportioning valve, not a pressure proportioning valve, and that the pressures will quickly equalize in a small volume system. This would cause rear over-braking and potential spinouts. How's it working for you and how do you drive it?

David

PS: This is an attractive option, so I've sent an email to Detrol for operation verification. No, I didn't say it was for car brakes. ;)

21 - 32 of 32 Posts