1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1: a ford 9 inch rear end

and

2: a 351w block

i want to do a 393 stroker and i would like to get a 9inch... "in case" aka supercharge, turbo, n20 in the future

i know that as far as "bolting" the 9inch up to my maverick i really only need to look for the same distance from backing plate to backing plate, cuz the shop can weld on new leaf spring mounts (hey why not new leafs too?)but as far as the 351w goes... i have no clue what to look for...
thanks guyz
jason

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I'm assuming you now what a basic small block ford looks like but you are looking for ways to identify the bare 351windsor block as opposed to a 289-302.If you look at the block from the front you will see a big water passage on each side of the block that are normally covered by the timing chain cover and waterpump.On a 289-302 the bolt hole above these water passages is almost flush with the deck surface where the heads bolt on.On a351 block there will be about a one and a half inch or so gap from this bolt hole to the blocks deck surface.If you look at the block from the rear it has two large webs that run from the top two bellhousing bolts to the intake manifold mounting surface.These are because of the 351s taller block.These are things you can also see on a fully assembled motor and are easier than memorizing a bunch of casting numbers.Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Mark a peice of rope that is as wide as your 302. The 351 manifold is a bit wider. Take it to the junkyard for compairison.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts