Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I have 93 roller block with older timing cover because I want to make it carburated and have want to use a mechanical fuel pump. Basically, I want a roller 302 in my 65 mustang and have all the brackets, v-belts, pullies, etc. from the older set up. However, my eccentric is rubbing against timing cover. I can see it rubbing through the hole were fuel pump connects. Now what, what are my options from here?

Thanks a bunch, Canela

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hello everyone,

I have 93 roller block with older timing cover because I want to make it carburated and have want to use a mechanical fuel pump. Basically, I want a roller 302 in my 65 mustang and have all the brackets, v-belts, pullies, etc. from the older set up. However, my eccentric is rubbing against timing cover. I can see it rubbing through the hole were fuel pump connects. Now what, what are my options from here?

Thanks a bunch, Canela
You cant use the older covers with the later blocks. The later engines were fuel injected so they didnt make enough room in the timing chain cover for an eccentric. Pull the cover off and buy or find a pre '85 cover. All the mustang places sell em for roughly 75 bucks brand new. Problem solved. Or you can take your cover and do a whole LOTTA grinding inside! Not advisable.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I set-up an engine as you describe. You need only to grind the eccentric thinner (yes, you can use a disc grinder) until it fits. Best regards. John--Las Vegas.

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
You can use the older covers with the 5.0 blocks. Use a one piece eccentric. You can use the older timing sets with the 5.0 blocks. Any thing that will fit on a 1968 302 will fit on a 93 5.0 with the exception of the rear main seal.

And crankshaft, because of the seal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had the same problem in my 289, the issue is the newer style timing set that I used wich was a double roller timing set.

Took mine to a machine shop, and had 1/8 or 3/16" taken of the mating surface of the eccentric with the gear.

I guess you can also grind or have the eccentric machined thinner...

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to everyone for all the help.

Just went to my friends machine shop and he milled eccentric down a bit with his lathe. Problem solved! If I come across another problem during this build, I will bug you guys again. Thanks again, Canela

1 - 6 of 6 Posts