Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
87 stang 5.0 5 spd

at turnds or when i come to a stop idle slowly drops till it dies what could it be?

fuel gauge jumps to full tank when i go over bumps and stays at full till i turn it off?

is there away i can check for eng codes without a scanner?

the k member is it bolted on or welded on?

is there any way to polish up my intake manifold?

where is the clutch quadrant located at?

thank you

·
Registered
395 Posts
1. Dies out -- fuel or compression issue.
3. engine codes, yes, there is a way to hook up a light or test meter and count the flashes or swings of the needle. Too cumbersome
4. K member is bolted on
5. Polished intake... talk to Vinnietbird on this net. I've seen pics of his work and its great!!
6. Quadrant is above your right foot. If the radio is out, you can see it easily or if you can take the seat out and lie on you back, you can see it. You can also see it with the door open if you get down low outside the car (just barely). Its easier to put your hand up there and feel it... stock is plastic.

·
Registered
395 Posts
True FE. Well, if it is IAC, then you can try removing it, cleaning it out with carb cleaner, and re-install. While you have it off, test it to make sure its moving back and forth.

Best way to check for computer codes is to buy a scanner from auto parts house. A cheapie is about $35. There are 2 plugs on the drivers side in the engine compartment. Follow the larger harness around the curve off the firewall toward the shock tower. Just off the firewall you should see a funny looking plug like a rectangle, except on the top left and right side the lopped off the corners. Makes it look sort of like a triangle. Its about 2.5 " across. You know you have the right plug because its the only one like it and it isn't plugged into anything else. Also there is a single wire with a square plug on it, not plugged into anything. Instructions with scanner tells you where to plug into the scanner. After that, plug and test. The box takes care of counting the flashes or needle swings. The book that comes with the scanner tells what the code number means. From that point, it takes a cagy mechanic to decipher the meaning. Problems can show a code with fix being an unrelated type item. Rough idle might show weak cylinder code, problem is actually PCV unplugged or vacuum hose under the manifold leaking or unplugged. Takes some thought.

Best way I know to test a computer is to find another car like yours and plug your ECU into that car. I bought a ebay ecu and the first thing I did was remove the one from my daily driver and plug it into that car. Ran like no changes, so I knew the ECU was good. Find a friend willing. The computer is behind the kick pannel on the front PAX side.

One other thing, if yours was a converted auto tranny to T5, they may not have hooked up the sensor. Does your cruise control work? If not, that could be all it is.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On 2006-06-20 19:45, Ronbuell wrote:
True FE. Well, if it is IAC, then you can try removing it, cleaning it out with carb cleaner, and re-install. While you have it off, test it to make sure its moving back and forth.

Best way to check for computer codes is to buy a scanner from auto parts house. A cheapie is about $35. There are 2 plugs on the drivers side in the engine compartment. Follow the larger harness around the curve off the firewall toward the shock tower. Just off the firewall you should see a funny looking plug like a rectangle, except on the top left and right side the lopped off the corners. Makes it look sort of like a triangle. Its about 2.5 " across. You know you have the right plug because its the only one like it and it isn't plugged into anything else. Also there is a single wire with a square plug on it, not plugged into anything. Instructions with scanner tells you where to plug into the scanner. After that, plug and test. The box takes care of counting the flashes or needle swings. The book that comes with the scanner tells what the code number means. From that point, it takes a cagy mechanic to decipher the meaning. Problems can show a code with fix being an unrelated type item. Rough idle might show weak cylinder code, problem is actually PCV unplugged or vacuum hose under the manifold leaking or unplugged. Takes some thought.

Best way I know to test a computer is to find another car like yours and plug your ECU into that car. I bought a ebay ecu and the first thing I did was remove the one from my daily driver and plug it into that car. Ran like no changes, so I knew the ECU was good. Find a friend willing. The computer is behind the kick pannel on the front PAX side.

One other thing, if yours was a converted auto tranny to T5, they may not have hooked up the sensor. Does your cruise control work? If not, that could be all it is.
<U></U>

is there any other way i can find out? my cruise control doesnt work but then again i don't know how to use it lol, where would this sensor be located at on the transmission? thx

·
Registered
395 Posts
There should be a wire harness comming off the speedo cable just as it enters the tranny. Those wires feed a signal to the ECU that tell the computer that the car is moving. When it gets the signal, it holds the IAC open for a faster idle and prevents stall.
Ron

1 - 8 of 8 Posts