Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
You can. You'll need to check the valve height to get the lifter preload right unless you have adjustable rockers already. When I first swapped to the edelbrock heads I also swapped in a set of the cast adjustable rockers with matching pushrods so I could adjust the preload myself. Later I upgraded to roller rockers, but they're still shaft mounted.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,804 Posts
If it's a mild stroker with a hydraulic flat tappet or hyd roller cam, most of us are using stock rockers and just being careful with pushrod length. They are lighter than roller rockers and just work without any thought.

Cheap rockers like that may give you fits, haven't heard much good long term about those or PRWs (the other cheapos) adjusters break, rockers crack, and the ID of the rocker wears against the shaft)

The stock setup will work with Edelbrocks and even stock pushrod length should work if using a hyd flat tappet cam, but you need to check. Best way is to bolt the rocker assembly to the head then get an adjustable pushrod and adjust to zero clearance. The the pushrod to use is .040-.060 longer than that. If the stocker is close, you just assmble and forget

One CRITICAL thing, the stock ford rocker bolts are different. The bolt that goes into the one hole that feeds oil to the rockers is shorter. If you use the stock bolt you will ruin your heads by stripping the hole or cracking the heads. Best bet is to buy a stud kit for the rockers from Precision Oil Pumps in Clovis, CA. Edelbrock makes a stud kit, but you pay nearly double.

Finally, your Chevy rockers won't work or help. Completely different design and to machine your heads for studs is possible but a waste of money for a weaker design. Best bet is to sell to fund the big FE!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts