Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 70, 302 auto mustang and recently bought the 600cfm carburetor #1405 from edelbrock now the only problem i have is how to connect the kickdown rod and trottle cable, i bought the adaptor plate they told me to #1409 but have no clue what so ever how the cable and kickdown connect and im not getting any answers form edelbrock, if u have any pictures i can use plz help, and one more question if its not to much do u know if the distributer on it is full vacume or timed

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
The linkage provide for those carb's switches their hook up... It places the throttle cable snap nub closer to the carb where the original carb had the kickdown hookup, and the kickdown hookup goes on the outside now. The part you need is supplied with the nub/nipple that the throttle cable snaps on and the kickdown bar goes on a free swinging appendage.... Depending on your particulars there is some bending needed for clearances.... I'll try to find a pic for you.

FE

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thankyou, o its a rod type kickdown, your right about placement tho the throttle cable comes way out to the front past were its supose to connect and the kickdown is way in the back nowere near were it supose to go, i dont mind waiting for the pictures lol in the mean time ill be trying to figure it out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jeez why couldnt they have put better instructions with their products even from their online and phone service i cant get the help i need, the carb and manifold installation was so easy but to attach just a throttle cable and a kickdown rod i have no clue! nothing i try seems to make the 2 fall into place, i need help! plz!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok im working on the picture but i found something, this looks almost exactly like my setup and also looks like a good way to fix my problem because do u see how far back the rod is from were it was supose to connect , only difference between mines and his is look at his trottle cable lenght its right were its supose to be, my cable on the other hand goes way in front past the hole were its supose to go in , to try to fix that i just held it with some duc tape and tied it back ill see if that works http://members.tripod.com/extreme_skier/bronco/carb1.JPG

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same problem with my 1407 carburetor.It would really help if some one got pic of how its made when its right done

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i dont know what those numbers are but i know i had to buy like 4 different things just so it could install the carb; fuel kit, automatic trottle adaper,trottle plate, intake manifold lol but the only thing is i cant control it from the petal but it does work and man do you hear a difference in power, that picture i posted is probably how ur gonna have to set it up

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
lol i bet sidewinder, i finally finished installing after a long long long time heh and after alot of self made parts and adjustments but the thing sounds dam good really powerful only thing is now when i open it up WOT it doesnt sound like its shifting or soemthing because i here the rpms going up like crazy but the car is really not accelerating nearly as fast as it should what do you thing is the problem now?

·
Registered
10 Posts
ponyboy am i glad i found this post I am having the exact same issue with my 1970 302 . I have the same Carb. and the same issues with the linkage and kickdown and have search just about everywhere to see if anyone has had this same issue. where able to resolve the throttle and kickdown if so how and do you have any pictures I have been doing a 3 year rebuild on mustang and this is all that is holding me up please help if you can. I would love to drive my car while it is summer here in MI.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts