Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone using one?
good....bad?
THinking of replacing the stock holley on our 86 ford van with one(351 HO 4V).
Ive heard they get better milage.
Any truth to that?

·
Registered
596 Posts
I had an Edelebrock 600 on my 351C 4V, I liked it, but the dyno shop recamended the Holley 750, so I switched over, and it made a big difference. The fact that it was a Holley or Edelebrock I couldn't tell you.

From what I've heard in here, most don't like the Edelebrock.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I have an edelbrock 600. It's really easy to tune, the metering rods and springs take literally two minutes to change. The jets, of course take longer. The thing is, and I don't know how prone to problems holleys are, the carb gets dirty easily. I'm running a K&N, and a fuel filter, but at one point, one of the idle circuits was so dirty, I completely pulled out one of the adjusting screws, and the engine didn't even change rpm, let alone stall like it should have. A little carb cleaner later, and, it's better.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
thecougarguy: my brother's 750 developed a similar problem, except I could screw one idle screw all the way IN and it was still rich as hell. Tried taking it apart and cleaning it out, no help, so he ended up getting a Holley for it. I've got an Edelbrock 750 on my 460, I had a Holley double pumper on it for a short while before that (it was a loaner). The Holley seemed to run stronger, but the edelbrock got way better mileage (in it's defense, the Holley could have used a rebuild kit). I think the edelbrocks are more cheaply made, and the accelerator pump is a little on the small side for a big block, but other than that I'm satisfied with it. Metering changes are a snap, and once I got it dialed in it ran good, but I think a double pumper is a better carb for making power.

·
Registered
596 Posts
The dyno shop told me the 600 ran to lean, even with the biggest jets they could get.

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
The Edelbrock is an excellent street carb. It gets GREAT mileage compared to any Holley, and will make good power once calibrated correctly. I also like how the secondaries are activated. They are sort of pseudo-mechanical in nature. When you stomp the throttle, the secondary butterflies open up, and the spring loaded air valve on the top of the carb meters the air. It works kind of like a quadrajet. :rolleyes: I like this system much better than the vacuum setup on Holleys. The slightest leak with those, and the secondaries quit working.

Just be aware that Edelbrock carbs come jetted pretty lean. The ones with electric chokes come jetted even leaner. One of their calibration kits is generally required to get the carb to make it's best power. These kits come with all sorts of metering rods and jets. The metering rods are great for adjusting the part throttle mixture. These are tapered rods that stick down into the hole of the main jets. As the throttle is opened, they pull out and expose more of the hole... richening the fuel mix. They are much more precise than power valves.

Edelbrock makes an excellent street carb!

Those who doubt they can make power need to read the Joe Sherman 400hp 302 buildup... that used a 750 Edelbrock carb with ported 289 heads and an Isky 280 Mega cam (232 @ 0.050" 108 LSA)

http://www.jason.fletcher.net/tech/sherman/sherman.htm

Good Luck!

http://www.fortunecity.com/silverstone/healey/367

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: n2omike on 3/16/02 4:25am ]</font>

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
I'm running two Edelbrock Carbs ... NOT the "Carter Clones" ... I'm using the "Rochester QuadraJet" clones. One a 750 CFM the other an 850 CFM

I have run both on my 351C 4V with fine success ... I moved the 750 to my SBC 350 when I got the 850 for the Mach1.

I just can't handle the extra curicular nonsense that has always seemed to accompany the Holleys ... and I can't see any way that the Holley out performs these QuadraJets.

My Two Cents

·
Registered
283 Posts
I've got an Edelbrock on my Dually, never had to do anything except rebuild it about 6 years ago. They are more susceptible to dirt than a Holley because the fuel is picked up off the floor of the float bowls. Have had the good 'ol idle mixture problems as well on some I have rebuilt for friends, a can of carb cleaner and 125 PSI of air into the needle hole tends to clear it right up. I like to refer to Carter AFB's and the Edelbrock as a "Plug n Play" carb. Screw it on, and the car WILL run. Oh, and I get 14 MPG highway in my dually, crewcab and all.......

·
Registered
107 Posts
I run a 600cfm Ebrock on my 302 in my boat and i love it....Very easy to tune...Plan to put it on my 347 this spring....No spilled fuel when you change the jets is kinda nice too....Russ...

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Everyone who is useing the Carter/Edelbrock carb- what kind of gas milage are you getting? And tell about the motor and car.

Just curious, because mine seems a little low.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Originally, 289, Edel 1406 600 cfm electric choke, Performer + Cam, RPM Intake, Flowmaster dual exhaust, C4, 3.00 rear, best I could get was about a 14 city/hwy, usually around 12. Best highway was about 17, on a trip to the sierras.

Now same motor, but with a Z spec T5, (.63 5th gear), hooker long tubes, same 3.00 gears. Most of my driving has been city recently, and I'm getting about 14. On a good split of city and hwy driving, though, I got about 19. I'm guessing on a long road trip, with little to no city driving, I could probably get away with 23-25 mpg.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Woohoo, you want mileage numbers? This is where _I_ have bragging rights, LOL!

11mpg highway on a GOOD day, with OVERDRIVE!
7-8mpg in town

5400lb '86 Bronco, 460 with mild cam, Performer intake, 750 carb, Thorley Tri-Y headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, stock heads, 8:1 compression, E4OD tranny, 4.56 gears, 35" tires.

I'm sure I could pick up a couple MPG just by putting in flat-top pistons to bump the compression up to around 9.4, but that'll have to wait for the next rebuild.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
uummm ok

Looks like you guys talked me into one.
THe vehicle as I said is our 86 E150 conversion van. It has the factory 351 HO 4V engine, C6 tranny and 9 inch ford rear(3.00-1). Only mods are 1 5/8 long tubes and 2 1/4 duals all the way back with a crossover.
ITs old school but we love it and it tows the mustang pretty well even with the tall gears. Looks like the 1406 is what we are looking for....electric choke and tuned for milage.

Anyone ever try the "reconditioned" perf carbs that they also sell? Also they sell two throttle related brackets for ford apps
I spose I need those too?

much thanks for all the responses

1 - 13 of 13 Posts