Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed in my Edelbrock catalog that they now have a complete EFI multipoint conversion for early 289/302 motors. It's a pretty slick setup. Comes complete with everything you need, computer, pump, fuel line, MSD distributor, intake, injectors....EVERYTHING. Has anyone used or heard of anyone using this? I'm really interested because I can keep my oval air cleaner and from a distance it will look like a carb setup. Pretty slick.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've only seen that setup on one car. They really liked it and said it made the car very drivable. Also, it gets better gas milage. Of course after spending well over 2 grand on it, you'll never actually see the savings of improved gas milage.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I also saw this in the catalog, but when i thought about what the price might be, the air gap rpm and a fancy biggs carb began to look really good.

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
I've been interested in Edelbrock multipoint EFI for the same reasons you are: to keep it looking stock (at least from a distance). I love the performance of EFI, but don't like the look of a modern intake in an old hot rod. I understand however that no matter how well the MPI is done, that it does not perform as well as the plenum type EFI (sequential?), i.e., 5.0 style stuff that Ford, Trick Flow and others sell.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I e-mailed Edelbrock on the system and the tech guys told me they had the best results with a Cam from Comp Cams designed for Blower applications. If I did this, I was thinking of feeding a 347 stroker with this setup.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I'm interested in it too for my '68.
I'm trying to justify/rationalize the cost
right now. The 2-3mpg improvement in gas
mileage would be nice. That's interesting
about the Crane blower cam- I would have
never thought of making that change.

·
Registered
430 Posts
The hardest part of doing EFI on an old car used to be the computer, but the Megasquirt fixed that.

http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html

Now the hardest part is finding someone to weld the injector bosses into my Victor Jr. intake - anyone know a good aluminum welder?

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
Putting that Edelbrock system on a 347 would be bitchin'. Super throttle response and lots o' torque!

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
I just read that too, I got my computer programmer buddy checkin it out. He says its very feasable. Were gonna do a lil more research, and maybe build a system for my bike (KZ650 4cyl) and see how it works. I'll keep yall informed of what happens.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts