Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you install a Ford Automatic kickdown kit on the carb?
I've searched for hours and have come up with nothing, just a picture of one installed should help me greatly.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Oop's...never mind. I see in your title that you have an Edelbrock carb. I think that used to be the Carter brand carberator. I think you will need to contact Edelbrock to get the information you seek. Some guys swear by them others swear at them.

Your question, statement(?)....isn't clear. There are a couple of variables that are confusing.

Ford specific automatic Carberators have an adapter/attachment pinned to the linkage side of the throttle shaft where the factory automatic kickdown linkage attaches. You need that type of throttle shaft to convert a generic carberator over to a Ford automatic-type carberator. It is possible to remove either the entire shaft or the attached lever, if you 1). have a spare "junk" car to salvage or 2). contact Holley (or a carb rebuilder) for a replacement.

You can attach the kick down using a plastic or metal plug that fits into an openning on the lever...that requires a "kit". Those usually have the instructions and pictures, so that can't be what you are asking, could it?

finally, there are aftermarket cable type kickdown actuators, search for LoKar on the "Net. They make C4 or C-6 kits that will replace the factory solid, metal rod with a spiffy wire braided covered cable. The good thing about them, is they will work with a generic (translation: cheaper) holley. Again, there are instructions included in the kit.

If you are using a non-Holley carberator, then you are own your own - I haven't used anything other than Holley's on automatic Fords.

Suggest you rephrase your request to get a better answer.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Beoweolf on 3/9/06 9:05pm ]</font>

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
Pitch the stock stuff and get a Lokar setup - more $$ but it's easier to deal with.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
On 2006-03-09 06:32, ckelly wrote:
Pitch the stock stuff and get a Lokar setup - more $$ but it's easier to deal with.
Ahmen...I was just leaving the "polite" in my reply.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Beoweolf on 3/9/06 9:43pm ]</font>

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
Ill second the Lokar! But on the same token I'll also agree with TJ on the Holly too!

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
yep the lokar set-up is the way to go with the edelbrock carb,i had all sorts of problems with the kickdown rod when i put the airgap manifold on my engine , but the lokar cable setup has been trouble-free

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: steharz on 3/10/06 7:37am ]</font>

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
The edelbrock Ford kickdown kit is really easy to install... two little screws mount it to the carb's throttle lever. One downside if I remember correctly, is that it offsets the linkage to the driver's side about an inch, so you need to move/modify your throttle cable bracket. to get it back in line. If you have a mechanical throttle linkage this might be more or less complicated, I haven't dealt with those much.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts