Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HAVE A BLOCK BEING MACHINED & ASSEMBLED TO A 392 AT MOMENT, MY QUESTION IS SHOULD I PUT ON THE RPM HEADS WHICH I HAVE , BUY THE VICTOR JNRs OR SPEND THE MONEY ON PORTING THE RPMs, HOW MUCH BETTER ARE THE VICTOR JNRs OVER THE RPMs
ALL ADVICE HAPPILY ACCEPTED

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
The RPM's are a much better head. But personally, I'd use what you have. If you wanna step up, wait until you have a need & more cash. The Jr's are a good head too.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
rpm heads are ok for a mild 302, they need extensive port work to be anywere near the victor jr. (out of the box)....
The victor jr. needs very little port work to flow 300/200, it will cost you 800 in port work work to get close and still wont compare to the victor jr...
I run victor jr on my 347 and love them, I had performer rpms on before and the victors are no comparison to the rpm's.....

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Billy, thanks for the reply, thats great info man, did you port your heads or put em on as were, what manifold and carb you runin, also i already have 1 5/8" headers are these ok or should i go custom made 1 3/4", will my headers bolt up, i think the exhaust ports are raised in the Victor Jnrs

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
1 3/4 is optimal for these heads. All though on my last set of 1 5/8 super comps I die grinded the opening slightly to match the gasket and ran them that way....
As for the heads I had them just touched up, and had a good 3 angle valve job done on them.. My porter said these heads are pretty good right out of the box....very little is needed to be done to them....
I am running a victor jr. intake (fully ported also, not just gasket matched)
I am also running a 4150 hp series carb, 830 cfm Holly.

The exhuast port is raised just slightly, my headers bolted right up, and is standard sbf pattern. Any standard sbf header will bolt up...

As for the headers try the 1 5/8" headers, headers can get very pricy custom made... mine ran 1300.00

Ron1 also ran 1 5/8" super comps ground slightly around the opening on his victor jrs. last year. He ran 10.06 on a 306 w/spray using these headers.....

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
billy, thats exactly what i had in mind , to open up the 1 5/8"s with a die grinder, good thinkin mate!!
i havnt got a manifold or carb yet but that setup sounds good

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
I got that bass ackwards! I'm using the Victors on a twin turbo set-up... I get all excited yacking about heads

1 - 8 of 8 Posts