Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 302 motor bored .060 over....I am looking to purchase a long lasting head, and one I will not have to ever mess with again(no warping or blowing head gaskets). This is my everyday driver Mustang. It has an Edelbrock RPM manifold w/ 600cfm sitting on top. Does Edelbrock heads last? How do they compare to competition? Will I blow head gaskets? I run 9.5 in eighth now, how much of an increase can I expect(I have stock Ford Heads now)?

Thanks
Allan

·
Registered
904 Posts
Hey, how is the edelbrock performer rpm and 600 cfm setup. How much HP and torque do you think youve gained and do you like the vac secondary carb? Hows your gas milage since this is your daily driver? Ive been thinking about a similar but a little more powerful setup for my 289.
thanks

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
we used the RPM heads from Edelbrock. We had stock heads with 1.94 /1.60 valves and ported on the exhaust. We put them on, and 1/8 times went from 8.4's to 7.4's...instantly with no other tuning. AFter some tuning, she's down in the 7.2's. Of course, it's a bracket-only car, so the cam is pretty healthy and it's 10.5:1 compression. It runs cooler (wont get over 180), starts easier for some reason, and best of all, that was 6 years and probably a million passes ago. The only thing wrong with them is the guides are starting to show some wear, but what do you expect after that many passes at or above 8000 rpm?

·
Registered
904 Posts
Wow, a million passes in 6 years!!!!!
365 days x 6years = 2190 days in 6 years, now lets divide a million by that 1,000,000/2190 =
457 passes everyday
for 6 years straight!!!!!

im just messin with ya

but foreal, I say you still have a good motor.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Sweet. I just put on my RPM's and had the spark plug holes sleeved with steel threads for long-lasting durability. They look like nice heads and really do breathe well when ported, but be careful if the valvetrain is what came with the heads. I've heard nothing but bad things about the valves and springs. I had mine replaced with top-o-the-line components.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My gas mileage is around 16-17 mpg. On highway, a little over 20. If I drive it hard for a tank....I get about 13 though. When I rebuilt the motor....I put the Edelbrock stuff on....so I'm not sure how much the carb and intake helped.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So...since this is my everyday driver.....would Edelbrock heads not hold up in stock(straight off the shelf form)? Any one have any suggestion for a good set of daily driver heads for my car? I just want some more power on my daily 302.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I just bolted on a pair of Edelbrock Performer RPM`s,(1.90-1.60) fully ported, and on my first trip to the 1/4 mile I picked up over .5 second`s, I know it has more in it. According to most HP calculators I picked up just shy of 50hp without any tuning other than a timeing adjustment and a small jet size change in the primary`s, once I get to the dyno I will share my HP gain`s.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
NastyStang....what kind of head did you have before? and what is your motor set up like?

·
Registered
355 Posts
I would say that since you are more interested in durability than power, just port out the exhaust side of your stock heads. It's cheap, there's a good article on FM about it, and it can be fun too.

Then again, if you get your stock heads off and they need work, I'd go with the RPM's. They are tuned to match your intake and perform as well as ported stockers without any porting.

That's what I'd do if I were looking to put my 302 up around 300 HP and not compromise longevity. Depending on the year of your motor, the stock cam may or may not be good enough for that 300, but you should be able to get close regardless.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I was running the stock E-7`s from a 89GT motor, no porting, stock valve sizes. I dynoed 282 with the stock heads.

Walt, we did not flow the heads, I thought about it but I was already in to deep, and just wanted to get it running.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
50 hp is only worth half a second in the quarter?....and you said the edelbrock heads had some porting done on them......so stock would not do as well?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Hey nasty stang. thats 280 horse was flywheel horse right? was everything else on the motor the same, just e7 heads? is it a stock roller cam?

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
That was 282 at the rear tire, 320 something at the flywheel, Ya baby!!!!!!!!!!

Boss302, those HP estimates were based on A MPH calculation, assumeing I have the weight of the car right, which means everything to those calculators. Figure in about 2 or 3 tenths of wheel spin, maybe more, I figure with some slicks, and moving the battery to the back I could be knocking on the door of the 11`s, I also figure I lose a tenth or 2 because I cant leave the line aggresively, so dont be dissappointed with only a .5 second gain, it is all in the way you get the power to the track.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
282 hp setup

89GT longblock (STOCK-no mods)
Performer Rpm
650 speed Demon
B-303
1.7 rockers
windage tray
underdrive pully`s
JBA shorty`s

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My engine has a stock cam and Performer RPM intake 1500-6500. Right now I cant push it over 5000 rpms. What heads...Performer or Performer RPMs should i go with? Will either raise the redline of my engine?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts