Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

edelbrock on FE

3K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  rickyracer1983 
#1 ·
I know the car type don't matter....BUT... My 68 galaxie 390 came to me insanely over mechanically cam'd like 305 in duration. The monkey on the fender with the fire hose squirting gas into the plenum was fired. His name was as usual "Holley"(AND THERE WAS NO TAMING THE SMOKE). Having had better luck with edelbrock I put a 650 AVS2 on. Tech said that would run sub 400 cubes at 6000 rpm all day. and fine it does. HOWEVER... One spring size pukes smoke. One leaner and it won't climb a hill and plugs is way lean. Since this started I've replummed only to find same each time I know its carb
THOUGHTS?

#2 ·
So, first, a Holley won't do that if the Holley is right, so something was wrong. However, I think it's safe to say that the carb isn't the issue.

1 - Is the cam still too big, and what do you think all the specs are
2 - What is your current timing settings, both initial and total, and when does mechanical come in fully? How do you have vacuum plumbed, ported or manifold?

A factory 427 FE cam was 306 adv, very late centerline, but to get them to behave you need to run closer to 16 initial and have it come in relatively quickly. If you have a stock distributor curve with a big cam, you are going to fight it. Additionally, you can advance cam and make it behave a little better, but it is all about the combo,not just the carb

#6 ·
Well judging by using a quart this summer and 2,3,4 having oily plugs I'll bet intake install number 3 was a bust to. UCK it. fomoco couldn't level a bb gun at a warship. I've leaned on those bolts near to snapping. Moral is, carry plugs n oil and ignore honks

#10 ·
since you obviously have no idea what has been done to the engine, don't blame FoMoCo for someone else's screw ups. That won't get you much help on here. For all I know and you said, you have a big cam, factory 390 heads, 9-1 comp, and a single 1 1/2" exhaust and whine about how it runs bad.

Remember Ricky chlonaz b4 type. Not vice versa. No 1.5 inch single. No 9-1 comp.Not much other than FE decks which FAIL on angles BAD. Yours never happened. Untrue fe decks are true

But the sight may give you an attaboy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.