Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was checking the prices of edelbrock victor series w/p for 351W #8843 and also Milodon high volume w/p #16231 at summitracing.com , both are aluminum w/p's but there is a big difference in price.

Milodon is $75 US, Edelbrock is $149 US, almost twice as much.

Is there really a difference in performance of the above water pumps or is it a "paying for the name thing" with the edelbrock one? I don't see Milodon being a bad name in the performance parts field but they're not as well known as edelbrock I guess. I just want a pump that's going to do the job and do it well for my 351W for "project sleeper" when I get the engine together. What's your take on this?

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I'm running the Milodon w/p myself. I also had your same reasoning on the money thing. The pump works great. The only drawback was that I found out that it was made in china.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
For what it's worth....

I asked the same questions and the guys at Summit said the Edelbrock was a much better pump....So I bought one, returned it, got another, returned it and got another!!! So far the third one is not LEAKING!!!

The Edelbrock techs said they had not had any problems......They probably peel the "Made in China" stickers off when they get to California!!??

I really don't have anything to compare it to, but two "leakers" in a row ain't anything to brag about!!!

Cobrajack

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have also the milodon.
The Edel flow 25 % more than stock and the milodon about 30 % more than stock, and it is cheaper than the edelbrock (25 % in germany).

It is more important to change to an aluminium - radiator .

I woud go with both !

·
Registered
314 Posts
I have an aluminum high volume pump on my
383W. It is identical to the Milodon unit. Bought it from Autozone. I Bet they are made by the same company. It was special order overnight. About $69 several years ago. No problems with it ever. I added a $5 Flowcooler disk from Summit when it was new.

It flows enough to keep my .060 block cool even with an electric water pump drive.

Prob the best thing is that it has a lifetime warranty. If I ever need another one I'm only 5 minutes away from the store.

Mine is at:
http://home.earthlink.net/~racrcole/_uimages/engine1.jpg

Compare to the Ford pump on the Milodon site:
http://www.milodon.net/main.htm

They are the same pump. Just ask for the Hi-po aluminum pump at Auto Zone.

Later,

David Cole

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Cool info Dave. I love it when someone learns "insider type info". You can't beat a lifetime warrenty either.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
looks like the Milodon one is the one to go with and it works better than the edelbrock for less money, thanks guys.

Dave C, you have the Mustang with those Hooker headers #6208. I emailed you about them as it looks like I will be going with those for my Granada (ordering them soon with the w/p and other stuff). If you don't mind I will be doing some measuring this weekend of my engine compartment and will email you the specs, could you measure up your compartment for me on your Mustang and let me know if the #'s are close? If they are then the headers should work in my car (may still need a little massaging but better then custom make) That would be great, TIA.

I'll email you this weekend with the measurements.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Sure, I'll take some measurements. Just let me know what to measure.

Later,

David Cole
[email protected]

·
Registered
202 Posts
My milodon had problems shortly after purchase, went with a Flowkooler like GT350.
The Flowkooler cools my car way better. I can
idle it all day in 100+ temp.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
On 2002-01-04 20:39, Billgear wrote:
My milodon had problems shortly after purchase, went with a Flowkooler like GT350.
The Flowkooler cools my car way better. I can
idle it all day in 100+ temp.
What problems did you have with your Milodon pump? I understand they have a lifetime warranty too. Does anyone know if Summit sells the flowkooler pumps too?

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'm running the Milodon on my 347 with no cooling problems. I did have a problem when building the motor with interference of the Pro Race dampner and the bottom bolt bosses of the water pump, had to grind about 3/16 off of each.

·
Subscriber
173 Posts
Does anyone know if Summit sells the flowkooler pumps too?
Yes. Flow Kooler pumps are listed $78-88.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts