Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some feedback from the real word of testing. What has worked for you or what are you happy with for a mild street 390 4 speed car. One can buy thru summit on ebay to get free shipping the performer for $325 and the rpm for $370 only $45 more.
I am thinking if the feel driving is the same on the street might as well spend the extra $45 after already spending $325. What are the opinions out there from those who has actually has experince on one or both.

·
Premium Member
5,864 Posts
The RPM's 60-120 mph at the quarter mile is fun for some but useless to me. I drive the Performer 390. I like the 0-60 power because I drive on the street, not the strip.

There is no intake that can do both. Just as there is no gun that can be powerful and easy on the hands. No food that can be delicious and filling and healthful and calorie free. No woman that can be hotter and cheaper.

Can't be everythin, so you make yer choices.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
With proper adjustments made to timing and carb tuning, I can say the Performer RPM does the same on the low end as my old T manifold and added plenty of top end.

I am assuming the T and performer are on the same level.
This is a pickup truck to, not track vehicle.

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The RPM's 60-120 mph at the quarter mile is fun for some but useless to me. I drive the Performer 390. I like the 0-60 power because I drive on the street, not the strip.

There is no intake that can do both. Just as there is no gun that can be powerful and easy on the hands. No food that can be delicious and filling and healthful and calorie free. No woman that can be hotter and cheaper.

Can't be everythin, so you make yer choices.
That depends on how much you have had to drink, cheap ones can look pretty hot at 2 in the morning

·
Registered
240 Posts
I've ran both and wont ever use the regular performer again. Pick up a copy of Jay Browns book and see which one of his "test mule" FE's would be a similar match to your combination and then you can reference which manifold of the dozens out there makes the best torque and horsepower for your application where you want it. :)

·
Premium Member
3,934 Posts
I've ran both and wont ever use the regular performer again. Pick up a copy of Jay Browns book and see which one of his "test mule" FE's would be a similar match to your combination and then you can reference which manifold of the dozens out there makes the best torque and horsepower for your application where you want it. :)
Same here, dyno or not, the Performer is a turd. I'd love to say you'd gain torque, but you really wont, a CJ iron is a great manifold, an RPM, even an alum PI, but all the Performer is, is a cork.

Guys who have them may say otherwise, but when you do a 1:1 swap, even on a mild 390, you'll see.

·
Premium Member
5,864 Posts
FYI, The mounting flange on the Edelbrocks is thin. if you use a Ford Carburetor, when it sits on the intake the sides hang over and air gets pulled in from underneath. If you are going to use the Ford spacer with the PCV port in it, the undergap back there can be challenging to defeat.

·
Registered
68 Posts
My thought, with a 4 speed rpm is fun, go with the rpm... But keep in mind mine is going to have the victor efi manifold. So.... I like rpm

With stock 390 heads and cam I would go with the torquier choice IMHO.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I just built a 450 hp 510 ft lbs torque 390 with a performer intake, and guess what!!! I have a brand new RPM sitting in the shop because it breaks up starting around 5000 rpms. I drive to much WOT for that. I will let you know the difference in a few days hopefully. The performer was a waste of money with a built c6 auto, so I am positive you would be unhappy with a 4 speed. I chased the break up for weeks until an old FE guy pointed at my intake and said theres your problem, get the RPM if your going to drive it that hard and walked off. lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts