Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any opinions on Victor Jr. heads for a 331? They seem to be a good value. Was thinking about AFR 205s. They should be pretty close, right ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I a running edelbrock RPMs on my 331 with air gap intake...

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Super Victor or Parker if your building a full race motor the Victor JR is good for a Street/Strip motor

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
On 2006-03-17 07:33, dfree383 wrote:
Super Victor or Parker if your building a full race motor the Victor JR is good for a Street/Strip motor

I think he means Victor Jr. Cylinder Heads.

Personally I'd go with AFR 205's.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Woops !! Victor Jr's are decent heads, I really don't care for the AFR's.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why don`t you like AFRs? I want something that doesn`t require custom headers or shaft mounted rockers. $1250 for Victor Jrs. $1600 for AFRs.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
I dont like the way they rate their heads. The flows they give you are with big bores (4.125) and Exhaust pipes, to make their heads look better than the really are. They seem like more hype and a sales job than alot of other brands. The standard package Springs and components leave a little bit to be desired (Read-Additional $$ need to be put into the base packages for race quality stuff) Look into some of the Brodix, Z304's, TFS, Ect. you might be suprised in the real world what these other heads are capible of. I'm not saying they are Junk but look into more than just the AFR products. To make a great combo takes more than just inflated flow numbers.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dfree383 on 3/18/06 3:51am ]</font>

·
Registered
19 Posts
Another really nice head and bang for the buck is the Pro action Cyclone.

Now under the RHS name.

I looked at a few heads and decided that teh Pro Actions were a really good deal for the price. Standard exhaust headers fit with no probles along with standard roler rockers, crane, caom, harland sharp etc no issues. and the spring ratings are pretty decent hyd roller to .600 lift on there standrd series springs which are double coil with damers and they have a 5 axis vavle they ecept standard 3/4 reach 14 mm plugs as well..

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
I like my Vic. Jrs. No porting, yet still capable of 6-teens in a 2600 lb maverick.

The AFRs are GOOD heads. But they cost nearly twice as much by the time you upgrade the springs, retainers, and keepers. Coulda built a set of big block heads by the time you spend $2k on the AFRs.

Z304's...buddy has a set on a 306 in a RX7. Nice heads! But, his combo leaves a little to be desired. 220 duration camshaft and 9:1 compression...and those heads=hahaha smooth idle and no low end. It is capable of SOOOO much more, if he'd invest the time and a little $$$. But he's happy and having fun racing, so I guess that's all that matters.

The ones from RHS "look" nice as well. I don't know anyone that's used them.

Another friend bought a set of chinese knockoffs of the Victor Jr heads. They didn't pick the motor up ANY over a set of ported iron E7TEs on a 393. The only thing that improved was the looks (and weight savings).

Yet another friend (yes...I have too dang many friends!) uses a set of brodix Track 1's on a 377w. They do a good job, and were worth about .3 over a set of HOGGED C9OE's. The old iron heads had been welded, filled...the whole thing. That was back when there were no aftermarket heads for ford small blocks....except the canted valve versions. I would have thought the T1's would have picked him up more than .3 and a couple mph though...and I seriously think that they should have been ported.

For the $$$ it's going to be hard to be the Edelbrock heads. Mine were under $1000 (I got 'em bare) and I already had the valves. The valves were actually a little longer than the ones Edelbrock sends with their heads, but it worked out good when I put the .745 lift cam in the motor. I'm back to a little .700" lift 270-274 duration solid roller now, and it seems to work the best...especially considering that I never have touched the heads with a grinder. Just had them welded up after a bomb went off in the bottom end a couple times and had 'em resurfaced a little...other than that, they're exactly as they were delivered to me.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Yup, brodix heads NEED PORTING! They perform poorly (next to afr's and trickflows) out of the box.
I prefer trickflows stuff, or the ford Z head...but the brodix heads when ported work very well too. Edelbrocks and TF heads are best bang for buck I think. Eddies are a little big for 331 IMO. Just depends on the application.
Brian

·
Registered
304 Posts
On 2006-03-17 21:25, ou812 wrote:
Eddies are a little big for 331 IMO.
what u think of the Performer RPMs with a 2.02/1.60 valves?
or a set of TFS TWs? with a Victor Jr. intake....I think that might be a better setup....

Vic Jrs might be ok if it was more of a strip than street motor....

·
Registered
377 Posts
It all depends on what the engine will be used for. The vic jr heads would work in high rpm application, but I dont know the specifics of what the intended use will be.
Of the heads I've used, I liked the Dart 195's for flow vs. port cross section. The trickflow R heads are also very good, but the heads need to be matched for the intended use.
I think the only heads I dont really like are the edelbrock rpm heads...not enough for the money.
Brian

·
Registered
197 Posts
ou812
In a full port situation, what kind of flow numbers could be obtained from the Edelbrock Vic JR heads?
Thanks

·
Registered
377 Posts
With 2.100 valves, and about 228cc runner I've had 320 cfm out of them.
It all depends on valve size, port opening size vs. engine size and rpm intended.
We port for application, not stage 1 or phase 2 or any of that.
I do $400.00 port jobs for alot of street stuff, but the racing stuff can be over 1500 in porting and seat work. Just depends...but the eddys are descent to work with and would work on a 331 if it was going to be spun up over 7000 rpm with alot of converter and gear. If not, you'll give up alot of midrange torque.
I personally love high rpm engines...nothing sounds or runs like them, but the rest of the combo better be there!!

Brian

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
You need to watch getting to big with the Valves (Shrouding). Keep in mind this engine we are talking (331) about only has a 4.030 bore. Bigger isn't always better.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Got a pair of the Vic Jr.'s on my 331. Couldnt be happier. Got a killer deal on a set of bare heads on ebay and upgraded the rest and havent looked back since.
Car performs wonderful on the street. Lots of bottom end and screams in the upper rpm range.
Most people on here ive found are big fans of the AFR stuff. /shrug

·
Registered
655 Posts
I like my AFR 185s....It made 471 fwhp on my 306 and ran 11.30s in my Falcon. I just finished my 331 and got 535 fwhp on the dyno saturday.I am using the vic jr intake and a 252/260 .672 .672 roller cam with 12.2 comp on the 331. I have not used the vic heads so cant speak about them....but the AFRs seem pretty good to me.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts