Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

edis 8 module

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  PSIG 
#1 ·
Does anyone know what the letters/numbers mean on a EDIS 8 ign. module? I'm looking to replace one on a 1992 Lincoln towncar and they are quite a number which has a different number on it which they say will fit the car. Can anyone decode this model number? F5sf-12k072-aa5j06a. I have not been able to come up with one which has this exact number.

#2 ·
The part number will generally not be the same. So, your F5SF means it's the original electronic part, and a replacement part would be F5SZ. So, a replacement part listing that includes F5SZ-12K072-AA would be a direct replacement.

Some background - The EDIS-8 versions are all quite similar, with slow and minor improvements or changes to microprocessors, programming, and little stuff indicated by the part number changes. Even a change in the plastic in the housing will cause a number change, and there is no listing I'm aware of that outlines those little changes. To the end-user, it should not matter, as function is the same. Effectively, any EDIS-8 version will interchange with any other EDIS-8, and we have found no obvious difference in basic (stock) operation or use. That said, some will allow higher rpm or multi-spark and such, but we're talking stuff outside the range of stock use.

What this means to you is that you should be fine using any standard replacement. However, I cannot speak to the return policies or issue handling of your supplier. If they say their part will work, you need to know what your options are if it doesn't (in-spite of what I said earlier). In other words, if they say "trust me", then you have to know your options if you do. If the terms are not acceptable, move-on to another supplier. I'd be happy to let you try one of my used/tested modules to experiment with, but I think I've sold my last one, as I don't use them anymore for custom stuff. I'll double-check if it would be useful to you though.

David

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.