Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is with 80lbs in the air shocks. I think it is a tad on the high side. What do ya think?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: psivory on 6/20/06 1:31am ]</font>

·
Registered
74 Posts
Maybe bring the nose down a little as well. Looking good though!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Looks pretty good. compared to dead level, how high is the rear wheel well? I have some rubber spring inserts and they can raise up the rear from by 1.5- 2.5", so that's why I am wondering. Looks like you might be higher than that though.

Also, let me ask you how the ride is. I went to AZ to get air shocks myself and the manager dissuaded me, saying if you put them on, the rear end is riding on the shocks instead of the springs. But I still wonder if that is a bad thing or not! so how does it handle up there?

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
On my driver cars: I put a 4' level under the rocker panels (under the door), to level them.

On the Ranchero that I am building, it will ride higher than the Galaxie. The Pinto V-8 will ride higher in the rear.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rayell on 6/14/06 9:52am ]</font>

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On 2006-06-13 18:47, putts1 wrote:
Looks pretty good. compared to dead level, how high is the rear wheel well? I have some rubber spring inserts and they can raise up the rear from by 1.5- 2.5", so that's why I am wondering. Looks like you might be higher than that though.

Also, let me ask you how the ride is. I went to AZ to get air shocks myself and the manager dissuaded me, saying if you put them on, the rear end is riding on the shocks instead of the springs. But I still wonder if that is a bad thing or not! so how does it handle up there?
Not sure of the height, but can check. The ride at this height is great, and deff. still sits on the springs. Any more pressure and the ride starts to suffer. The shocks can take 200lbs, at that press. it might just take all the pressure off the springs!

·
Registered
284 Posts
I'd say mabe just a small tad high, but looks great, how does it feel when driving on wet pavement? That is the real spinchter test for rear end height!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Relax. I meant even out the stance. However, with big meats sometimes that does not work out. Your car is not lame. Your being to sensitive considering your original thread post. Your car is clean and sweet. You will NOT have any ground clearance issues

·
Registered
822 Posts
Always liked the looks of that car!!

But I think I am gonna agree that it is just a tad too high. But I also agree that that body style does look awsome with a slight rake to the front!

I am running the same size tires on the XL right now at all 4 corners and have it sitting pretty level, but I did have big 'n' littles on Weld Drag-Lites and I thought the rake was about right. I was running 235/70-15 on the back and 215/70-15 on the front. If I can find a pic I will post it of it with the Welds.

Either way, it's still an awsome looking ride!

Jim

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
love the car, looks good a tad to high in the rear though..............

FWIW I found out a long time ago that air shocks just suck.....the shock mounts are not meant to hold all the weight of the car, thats what the spring are for........broke a shock mount and the car came down on the tires. nuff said...........

again love the car......

·
Registered
303 Posts
your probably going to think this is nuts but one thing i've always thought looked good on big cars is to raise the front a little.

and i agree. it's a tad high in the rear.

nice looking car.

·
Premium Member
1,950 Posts
What do you think of the look? Who care what anyone else thinks. I always build what I want even though others might think I am out in left field. I pretty much like looking at cars no matter what ride height they are at, what color they are, what brand they are etc. I like the look, but who cares what I think, how do you like it?

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
On 2006-06-14 06:54, F15Falcon wrote:
What do you think of the look? Who care what anyone else thinks. I always build what I want even though others might think I am out in left field. I pretty much like looking at cars no matter what ride height they are at, what color they are, what brand they are etc. I like the look, but who cares what I think, how do you like it?
Honestly wasn't sure how I liked it. At certain angles it looks better than at other angles. But, I do think it is a tad to much so I am going to let it down a bit.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I agree with F15falcon. After I installed the 2" lowered coils and springs I put the same amount of air in the rear and I felt like I was Joe Dirt! I dropped it down to where there is about an inch to two inches of difference in the bumper heighths compared to flat and I love it. Do what you like though. You made or are making the payments :^)

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
how far offset is the axle?

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Scott, I too thought just a tad too high on first glance of the picture. Just a tad. For opinion's sake I always thought the fullsize fastback looking cars should be more level. Its a funny thing really. When people put a good rake on a big fastback car, it really brings attention to the rear which already has enough attention on it because of the style. So, now you have this attention getting end in the air making the car look like it has a "large ass" from the rear profile.
This is also an opinion from a guy driving around a 65 without a front bumper because I think it looks cool, also with a slight rake, and a tropical turquoise paint job from the factory. So there you go.

No matter how complicated something is or seems, always start with the simple basics then work your way to the rocket science !!!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: v8shadow on 6/15/06 1:00am ]</font>

1 - 20 of 69 Posts