Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it worth swiching from eec-4 to eec-5?

If starting from scratch, should I go after a harness and eec5 from an 97-98 explorer or just go get a harness/computer from a 5.0?

Any advantges of using the eec5??

Thanks

·
Registered
472 Posts
yeah i would like to know also?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yes, I'm in the middle of a EEC-V equipped engine project.
Why do you want to change to EEC-V?

The general answer is: NO!!

But feel free to ask questions

Doc

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So there are no advantages to eec-V??????????
But you are using 5 instead of 4??

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yes, it is advantages. The 5 is a big development from the 4. But to go through a changeover from 4 to 5, with all the money and job involved to do that, I'll say it isn't worth it. The 4 does the job its intended to do in a great way, if it's tuned/chiped correctly. If you are going to change the whole thing (engine/transmission/EEC), then it's worth it. To do something everybody hasn't done yet is always worth whatever it takes.

The only time the 5 should be used (IMO), is if you are going to use an engine wich came originally with the 5. The 5 supports distributorless ignition, coil packs/coil over plugs and SEFI. I don't think you'll find any 4's that do that, so it'll be a massive electric/electronic rebuild. Ask me, I'm up to my knees in wires.

Doc

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Doc on 1/4/03 3:04am ]</font>

·
Registered
809 Posts
Hey Doc, the '92-'95 4.6 engines are DIS and still use the EEC-IV system. Also the early '90s 2.3 4cyl in the Mustangs & Rangers run a dual plug DIS system using the IV system.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TurboCoupe50 on 1/4/03 2:47am ]</font>

·
Registered
809 Posts
No problem Doc, I magine a lot of the American models are kinda scarce over your way. Also I forgot, the DOHC Mark VIII Lincoln 4.6 has the EEC-IV system '93-'95.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yes, thats right. VERY scarce.

And here in Europe, the EEC-V didn't come until 1999-2000. We are a little behind in certain areas.

But that don't stop me from using an 1999 Intech 5.4 DOHC in my project. It's going to be interesting.............but not frustrating I hope. I'm learning as I go.

Doc

·
Registered
420 Posts
The V also was required to use with the electronic controled transmissions, and to monitor the cats. Thats where the 2nd set of O2 sensors comes in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Maybe you should look at the Ford Racing Xtreme EFI, completely programable from a PC/laptop. It replaces your eec-iv and a new one for eec-v

·
Registered
809 Posts
On 2003-01-04 10:53, 392Bird wrote:
The V also was required to use with the electronic controled transmissions, and to monitor the cats. Thats where the 2nd set of O2 sensors comes in.
Begnning with the '87 automatic Turbo Coupes, there was some transmission controll in the EEC-IV systems(overdrive and converter lockup). In '92 EEC-IV systems were preformng all the shifts in the AODE automatics (Crown Vic, Grand Marquis and Town Car).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Maybe you should look at the Ford Racing Xtreme EFI, completely programable from a PC/laptop. It replaces your eec-iv and a new one for eec-v

Where can I get this and have you used it or know someone that has used it? Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
8 Posts
EEC-V is OBD-II. I great system for stock type cars but makes it harder to modify
( read that as more expensive). It is when all the manufacturers got their computer systems "talking" the same language. If you can fix a Ford, you can fix a Toyota.

·
Registered
1 Posts
EEC-V was strictly designed for OBD2, as a result because the EEC needed to monitor misfire they moved all the ignition control onto the EEC. Earlier EEC-IV that had DIS or EDIS used individual ignition modules, first with DIS which required no real programming changes from TFI, and then EDIS which requires a certain EEC-IV computer to run due to the Programmed pulsewidth SAW signal peculiar to EDIS, which is diferent than the TFI or DIS SPOUT.

This is in addition to the requirement to monitor Cat converter performance, as required by OBD2 as discussed earlier.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
The biggest issue, at least from what I've heard - is the EEC-5 w/OBD-II was also the beginning of management computers being "snitch-enabled". It can read back what was happening as far as engine management, anything else it controlled, directly. The previous versions eec-IV were, more or less, restricted to accumulating codes.

Not all that important in a hobby, modified, upgrade use - but I just find it "spooky" that, after the fact it is possible to reconstruct how fast you were going, when you applied braking and much longer, extended ability to collect detailed data on any changes made to the engine.

Is this fact or fiction?

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
It just takes time for the information to filter down. The more complicated the Technology, the longer it takes for the average Joe to absorb it, then a little longer for us to figure out what is important, good to know or just in the way. ;)

Ford Vehicles: Help - Glossary

1 - 19 of 19 Posts