Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have put a 429 motor into my 63 Fairlane. Then I got the bright idea of adding an EFI set up from a 90 truck 7.5L on it. The result is that it does run very well and it is a nice addition to my little car HOWEVER,
since it came from a F-250 truck, the computer THINKS that it is still in a truck and runs like it. A friend of mine suggested putting in a computer and mass air sensor from a 94 mustang to bolster the preformance. He says that that year mustang came with 24 lb injectors like I'm using now (since the computers are set for the injectosrs that they are using) and the mass air I can add and the harness I can make... any Ideas.

How can you tell what size of injectors are being used. Where can I find a wire diagram for that year or mustang?

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
mass air conversion would make it run ten times better. The truck computer thinks it's still a 460, and right now you have a 429 which uses less air. It works, but power suffers a little. Converting to mass air would require finding a california 7.5L computer, as the 302 mass air computers require the late HO 5.0 firing order (which noone makes a cam for a 460 with that firing order.) there was a guy on another website that did it successfully. check out
http://www.fordtrucks.com and search for "mass air 460". Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Ford used two different setups (mass air flow vs speed density) on EFI in the 80's, not sure if this carried over into the trucks in the 90's or not. The performance style is the mass air flow sensor type. It could respond to changes such as cam, timing, rear end gear changes, etc where the speed density couldn't.

Ford Motor Sports or what ever the name is now, had a few kits for the mustang and the 5.0/5.8 trucks to convert the speed density to MAS.

M-12071-C302 is the main harness for MAS is $200.00 and the computer and MAS is M-12071-G302 priced at $325.00. The problem might be the firing order if the 429 is not the same as the 351W (1-3-7-2-6-5-4-

FMS also made an over lay kit for the F-series trucks using the 302 firing order (1-5-4-2-6-3-7-
. Pn M-9000-T51 with AOD or T50 with manual tranny. Price on it is 695.00 auto and 630.00 maunal.

Hope this helps you.......

·
Registered
809 Posts
Thats an interesting swap you've done. As far as I know, unless it is a Cobra, none of the HO 5.0 engines had 24 lb injectors stock. It is no problem to get a aftermarket mass air sensor for the 24lb inj and use the Mustang computer(I have a Pro-M on my Bird with 24's). The truck info I have('87, sorry all I have) showes the system to be batch fire, you will need to rewire the injectors for the SEFI Mass Air computer. As other have mentioned the firing order is different for the Mustang computer, but that can be taken care of by switching the injector wiring (3&7 with 5&4). The 24 Lb injectors have a light blue top. Other common Ford Inj are 14lb greyish-white, 19lb orange, and 30lb red.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TurboCoupe50 on 5/16/02 9:28pm ]</font>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.