Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so Im planning and researching what parts I need and I have a few question. I dont want to build a stock system and have to upgrade so I plan to start with the upgrades people usually get later on. Some of the questions I have is do I have to have an in-tank fuel pump and Besides a MAF sensor what other sensors do I need?

·
Registered
688 Posts
so Im planning and researching what parts I need and I have a few question. I dont want to build a stock system and have to upgrade so I plan to start with the upgrades people usually get later on. Some of the questions I have is do I have to have an in-tank fuel pump and Besides a MAF sensor what other sensors do I need?
You Say you do not want a stock system, So it would be better to ask the manufacture of the system you want to run.

As for a stock ford MAF OBD1 EEC IV system No you do not have run an in-tank fuel system you can source your parts from a 80s ford van or pickup and several other ford EFI cars ran an external pump The trucks/Vans have an external reservoir that plumbs in to the return line, you will need O2, BAP, EGR, TAD, TAB, ACTand ECT, as well as MAF Sensors unless you get a chip programed to turn off TAD,TAB,EGR,

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
I'm running a Mallory EFI external pump. So far so good. I built a bracket to hang it at the tank. I also use the Mallory return style regulator and had the tank modded for a -6 AN return.

I'm running a Megasquirt 2 system BTW.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I use an external mount walbro pump. Made a bracket to mount it on the fuel rail right in front of the passenger side rear tire. Running a modified Mass-Flo EFI system.

·
Registered
743 Posts
i have the 255 on mine. If your running a regulator, which I believe most EFI does, it wont matter if its a little too much pump, the excess fuel will just return to the tank.

·
Registered
10,342 Posts
You're only planning 120LPH max at this point (less if you sized the injectors properly), though either a 190 or 255 pump would leave room to grow. Using an accumulator (a.k.a. - surge tank, header tank or swirl pot) is by far the easiest (and usually least expensive) solution for reliable air-free fuel, and much easier to maintain or service. The down-side is that it's out there for everyone to see in your engine compartment or trunk unless you hide it somewhere like in the fender, down by the frame rail, or near the fuel tank and rear axle. Are you planning to use a stock ECM and MAF or another option?

David

·
Registered
688 Posts
Can you elaborate on the ford vehicles with the external fuel pump setup? sounds like that would work best for my 302 in my 61 ford unibody.
Look at mid 80s trucks and vans some mid 80 tbirds/cougars

Here is what I have been running since 2004 with out any issues factory ford "surge tank" found on trucks and vans the return line keeps it full $10 from local PIP yard. I have it mounted on the frame rail right by the stock tank. I am using the factory ford frame mounted bosch pump like in PSIG picture,

·
Registered
10,342 Posts
Yep, trucks and vans used the system longer than cars (it was the first EFI system Ford used). Even when they went MPFI on the trucks, it was used for a few more years as it was more reliable for rough duty. Most common early '80s to early'90s. The partial list below is based on the specific fuel pumps used (there were a couple of versions), but it includes most of the models that incorporated this dual-pump system:

FORD AEROSTAR
FORD BRONCO
FORD BRONCO II
FORD E-150
FORD E-250
FORD E-350
FORD F-150
FORD F-250
FORD F-350
FORD LTD
FORD LTD BROUGHAM
FORD LTD COUNTRY SQUIRE
FORD LTD CROWN VICTORIA
FORD LTD LX BROUGHAM
FORD MUSTANG
FORD RANGER
FORD THUNDERBIRD
LINCOLN CONTINENTAL
LINCOLN MARK VII
MERCURY CAPRI
MERCURY COUGAR
MERCURY MARQUIS
MERKUR XR4TI

Note all these models used no in-tank baffling. As the tanks were like our carbed tanks, even though the LP pump was inside it, they had the same issues of sucking air on turns and other maneuvers. As fuel modules were developed (those white plastic cylinders that pumps go in now) or tank baffles added for each model, the systems changed to single-pump as the baffles or module became the 'sump' and air bubbles were no longer an issue.
HTH,
David

[EDIT] PS: It's easier to pull these parts from trucks and vans as they are easy to get to and remove, as well as being more common.

·
Registered
210 Posts
So are two pumps needed for this swap
Or just the pump that's close to the surge tank?
Just found this setup in my local pip :)
Wasnt sure if there was a pump in tank feeding it?

·
Registered
688 Posts
So are two pumps needed for this swap
Or just the pump that's close to the surge tank?
Just found this setup in my local pip :)
Wasnt sure if there was a pump in tank feeding it?
I have been running it with out a feeder pump for 6 years with out any issues the truck I pulled did not have an in tank pump only the external pump. I run my Chero to E all the time, no problems, My pump is about 3 feet from the reservoir/surge tank and the reservoir is about 2 feet from the tank and both are above the fuel pickup by at least 6 inches. My entire fuel system is scrounged factory Ford parts including the lines and fittings.I did use rubber high pressure fuel hose on both lines in between the tank and reservoir the rest is the nylon tubing and quick disconnect fitting found on all the fords.

·
Registered
210 Posts
5.0 thanks

were did you find your nylon tubing??

Or is it possible to use all the steel line and hoses on the van i saw
and work them into my galaxie frame.?

Just thoughts..
and thanks for the info!

·
Registered
210 Posts
5.0 thanks

were did you find your nylon tubing??

Or is it possible to use all the steel line and hoses on the van i saw
and work them into my galaxie frame.?

Just thoughts..
and thanks for the info!

·
Registered
210 Posts
When removing the harness from a 5.0 mustang I got everything out up to where it connects by the brake booster
Should I cut it there?
And splice in at that point to the old car?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts