Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I`m just going over my options for fuel line routing for my EFI hard line, here is what i have so far, and my thoughts about each option.. any other suggestions appreciated -

1 - RED - following stock 68 location until it enters the wheel housing, then turns upwards and runs up the rear corner of the housing, then passes through the inner fender into the engine bay.

concerns with this, that it would get pelted with road crap which may damage the line. i like that it is outside teh engine bay and away from teh headers though.

2 - GREEN - mostly stock, but then runs inside frame rail and through frame (where the handbrake cable used to run as im not using that) then up inside frame to engine

-runs near headers, heat problems? , also converned that in a bad front end smash the framerail could push into the fuel line and damage it

3- BLUE - same concerns as for green, have to drill new hole in frame (cant see that being an issue) but less of the line is near the headers.

4 - PINK - same as 68 stock then takes a right angle through the frame as it enters wheelhousing and goes into the engine bay.

any thoughts appreciated..

(the picture isnt my car :) )

cheers,

Mark

·
Registered
10,305 Posts
Use whatever makes you feel good. My 2¢ is that severe impact damage is not a concern of one route over another, as you are using an impact switch - correct? However, any route that keeps the line more protected (such as tucked in corners as in blue and pink) would seem preferable. That said, the factory often ran the lines out in the open (green), with road hazard damage an uncommon occurrence. What they rarely did was hide sections of lines behind panels (red and pink), though through chassis rails and brackets (blue) was common.

2nd, short runs near heat are easily sleeved, eliminating the concern that the fuel circulating through the tank will slowly heat over time. 3rd, any route than is hidden for long sections, and especially if it needs to take turn in that section are not only a PITA, but are not easily inspectable. That isn't a huge concern, but one that can be easily avoided with less labor. Overall I use and prefer the blue and green methods, keeping the line protected in corners but fully accessible, and insulated where necessary. That's me. Do your thing. All of your routes equal or exceed factory routing.

David

PS: Sorry - forgot about the line routing photos. I'll dig 'em up, but they run like the green from the factory under the chassis (stock Ranger), and up the firewall as stock for the Explorer I pulled the lines from. The firewall is one of the last places to see damage in a front/side impact, though again, that's not a primary concern. It can see more heat than at the front of the engine, but would be no worse than the original Ranger routing, that ran from the chassis rail about 1 foot forward of the firewall, up into the air as SS braided hose, and across the gap and valve cover right over the headers. :eek: The factory was apparently unconcerned at that heat level. I sleeve it near heat - something even the factory did not do.

·
Premium Member
3,853 Posts
On mine, for the feed side, I replaced the stock 3/8 line with 1/2 and ran it in the stock location.

For the return, I copied the drivers side on the passenger side.

All hard line, one piece on each side

1 - 5 of 5 Posts