Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 72 cleveland 2bbl and was wondering what it would take to make it efi, throttle body. I was wondering where I could go looking online to buy? Or if anyone just has some info
Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm going through the same thought process for my 302. Yes, there are at least 4 great options that I have come to understand exist:
1. The edelbrock Pro Flo-4, which includes a new intake manifold that is pl;umbed for individual injectors into each cylinder, and includes fuel pressure regulator, computer AND a new distributer -- deluxe and well-acclaimed by many -- price is about $1800.
2. The Holley Sniper: a throttle body injection system, also very highly acclaimed by users. It includes the TBI and computer. You provide the 4-barrel intake manifold. Users state that customer support is THE BEST, and that it is VERY important. I think it's about $1200.
3. FiTech throttle body system, with computer -- I think it's under $1000; I have seen many complaints about problems with this system, and problems with customer support. You provide a 4-barrel intake.
4. Summit's own TBI system, with computer -- very similar in system to FiTech and Sniper, and around $650 -- you provide new intake manifold (since you have a 2bbl manifold (needs 4bbl intake). No input yet on how good their customer support is.

Once again, everyone claims that CUSTOMER SUPPORT is VERY important, because there are innumerable small problems specific to your installation.
That's all I know so far.

Check Vintage Mustang Forum for MANY threads about installing all of these, for example Summit Brand EFI
Just search EFI or Edelbrock or Sniper, etc.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm going through the same thought process for my 302. Yes, there are at least 4 great options that I have come to understand exist:
1. The edelbrock Pro Flo-4, which includes a new intake manifold that is pl;umbed for individual injectors into each cylinder, and includes fuel pressure regulator, computer AND a new distributer -- deluxe and well-acclaimed by many -- price is about $1800.
2. The Holley Sniper: a throttle body injection system, also very highly acclaimed by users. It includes the TBI and computer. You provide the 4-barrel intake manifold. Users state that customer support is THE BEST, and that it is VERY important. I think it's about $1200.
3. FiTech throttle body system, with computer -- I think it's under $1000; I have seen many complaints about problems with this system, and problems with customer support. You provide a 4-barrel intake.
4. Summit's own TBI system, with computer -- very similar in system to FiTech and Sniper, and around $650 -- you provide new intake manifold (since you have a 2bbl manifold (needs 4bbl intake). No input yet on how good their customer support is.

Once again, everyone claims that CUSTOMER SUPPORT is VERY important, because there are innumerable small problems specific to your installation.
That's all I know so far.

Check Vintage Mustang Forum for MANY threads about installing all of these, for example Summit Brand EFI
Just search EFI or Edelbrock or Sniper, etc.
So after some looking around I think holley sniper would be best for me, thanks for the great info. I was looking at the holley sniper efi 2300 self tuning kit(550-849). It's only $850 right now and seems like a good deal and it comes in 2bbl. Comes with a adjustable tuner type thing too

·
Registered
6 Posts
I did a carb to EFI conversion about 3 years ago on my 351 Cleveland. At the time, there were less choices. My search began the year before. The FiTech was in my price range and I went with that. Here’s a summary of what I did and I’m quite pleased. Check notes at the bottom.

My Choice
  • FiTech 600hp EFI.
  • Edelbrock Torker manifold for 351C intake.
Before Conversion

My 351C had a Cobra Jet manifold. At the time I couldn’t find many aftermarket manifolds to accommodate the FiTech throttle body. As such, I settled on the Edelbrock single-plane Torker.

The motor sits in a Ford F100 longbed, therefore the gas tank was behind the seat inside the cab. The FiTech EFI system, as with most all systems at the time didn’t work with an old gas tank with old school fittings, etc. So, I yanked out the gas tank and purchased a fuel cell from Jegs and mounted it in the front of the truck bed, right behind the cab.

The Hard Part (at least for me)
  • Finding a compatible intake manifold in 2016.
  • Replacing the intake manifold.
  • Yanking the behind-the-seat gas tank.
  • Installing the Jegs fuel cell in the bed of the truck and running the fuel lines, including return line.
  • Installing the O2 sensor in the crossover pipe on the headers.
There’s more, such as electrical wiring, heat wrapping, etc. but nothing overwhelming.

I remember visiting Earl’s quite often in order to replace my stock fuel system with A/N fittings in order to hook up the fuel cell with the EFI. If you have an OEM fuel delivery system in place, you may want to replace that with modern application components.

The electronic fuel pump that came with the FiTech kit delivers the fuel quite efficiently from the fuel cell, through the pump, to the throttle body. I’m pleased with the setup.

I’ve noticed that the system management interfaces are more improved than when I bought mine. But mine’s good enough to get everything dialed-in and working as desired.

Note

Don't know if it still does, but the FiTech system used to come with a fuel canister so you could use your old OEM fuel delivery system. From what I recall from customer feedback they were a disaster. Do not get that option if it's still available.

My apologies in advance for any grammatical errors.

Good luck and I hope this helps!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did a carb to EFI conversion about 3 years ago on my 351 Cleveland. At the time, there were less choices. My search began the year before. The FiTech was in my price range and I went with that. Here’s a summary of what I did and I’m quite pleased. Check notes at the bottom.

My Choice
  • FiTech 600hp EFI.
  • Edelbrock Torker manifold for 351C intake.
Before Conversion

My 351C had a Cobra Jet manifold. At the time I couldn’t find many aftermarket manifolds to accommodate the FiTech throttle body. As such, I settled on the Edelbrock single-plane Torker.

The motor sits in a Ford F100 longbed, therefore the gas tank was behind the seat inside the cab. The FiTech EFI system, as with most all systems at the time didn’t work with an old gas tank with old school fittings, etc. So, I yanked out the gas tank and purchased a fuel cell from Jegs and mounted it in the front of the truck bed, right behind the cab.

The Hard Part (at least for me)
  • Finding a compatible intake manifold in 2016.
  • Replacing the intake manifold.
  • Yanking the behind-the-seat gas tank.
  • Installing the Jegs fuel cell in the bed of the truck and running the fuel lines, including return line.
  • Installing the O2 sensor in the crossover pipe on the headers.
There’s more, such as electrical wiring, heat wrapping, etc. but nothing overwhelming.

I remember visiting Earl’s quite often in order to replace my stock fuel system with A/N fittings in order to hook up the fuel cell with the EFI. If you have an OEM fuel delivery system in place, you may want to replace that with modern application components.

The electronic fuel pump that came with the FiTech kit delivers the fuel quite efficiently from the fuel cell, through the pump, to the throttle body. I’m pleased with the setup.

I’ve noticed that the system management interfaces are more improved than when I bought mine. But mine’s good enough to get everything dialed-in and working as desired.

Note

Don't know if it still does, but the FiTech system used to come with a fuel canister so you could use your old OEM fuel delivery system. From what I recall from customer feedback they were a disaster. Do not get that option if it's still available.

My apologies in advance for any grammatical errors.

Good luck and I hope this helps!
This helps greatly. Thank you!

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
i will soon be into that myself and i am sure it will be the hardest part of the restomod.I have a 351w 1992 lightning motor just sitting in my69 torino wagon and a junk yard 4r70w to be test fit in there next week.Probably going for the US Shift Quick 4 controler for it. About $750 with harness It does so much and i think even i can figure it out.Not so sure about the EFI.Everybody says "grab a wire harness". I am not sure what that means but i did dig most of the wires out of the the Lightning and will unwrap the loom starting at the ECU and trace them down to the efi sensors and see iff it makes any scents . I have heard that you need a TFI distributer with the modual mounted on the side of it and that none ever came in the clevland. I have a TFI distributer in mine but the TFI modual is mounted remotely. not sure how that is going to work. Not sure who to ask. Also do not know if you wire the fuel pump for key on { with inertia switch ofcoarse } all stand alone or does the computer have to see that. Not much help I know but am in the same boat with you I have some pics here in "making progress" "fits under the hood" Let us know how it goes and good luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts