Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got this wiring harness from a late model Mustang, '91. Got the thing on the work bench and I got a question for those who have done this swap over. Is it better to buy a harness that has be set up for a early model Mustang, '65? Or to install an unmodified harness and attempt the bypasses on my own to ensure proper diagnostic codes? Also, if it is better to buy a modified harness, like from Windsor-Fox or Painless, who do you recommend?
Sincerely yours, the inventer of stupid questions.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: oils65mustang on 3/23/02 9:44pm ]</font>

·
Registered
46 Posts
There are no stupid questions in our hobby, my friend...only arrogant, condescending answers. None of us knew anything until we learned it; can't learn if you don't ask.

A used, stock wiring harness like you already have can be successfully retrofitted...IF you have a pretty good understanding of how all the various EFI components are supposed to work, and good reference manuals for both your existing vehicle and the EFI system donor vehicle, to chase everything down. There are certainly excellent reference manuals readily available on both subjects.

Painless Wiring makes high quality stuff and has good instructions and tech support. Not inexpensive, but a good value to the builder who isn't a whiz at electronics.

Windsor-Fox probably has the best, almost turn-key setup for your particular retrofit application...and also the highest price.

Bottom line, ya' gets what ya' pays for with any of these choices. None bad, just different.

Since you already have a stock harness, you might see if you can find an experienced EFI auto technician who you could hire "on the side" to help you when you get stuck. You might be able to pay a couple hundred bucks for the help and still come out well ahead. The peace of mind that would come from an experienced "consultant" checking out the installation is worth something in itself.

Steve Amos

·
Registered
77 Posts
Another possible route would be to get the FRPP EFI street rod harness kit. There's a main harness that comes under one PN, and another for the fuel injection and O2 sensor harness. That's what I did for my planned conversion in my 351C Fairmont. Not done with it yet... Painless Wiring DOES have nice stuff. Best wishes.
Scott

·
Registered
1 Posts
Call Roger Stine
949 275 5702 9-3 pm PT or
email [email protected]

Roger is a Factory Five Cobra builder, among other things, and has made a specialty of stripping the EFI wiring harnesses from 1987-93 Fox body Mustangs for use in Factory Five cars: removing the redundant plugs and wires for the airbags, power windows, etc. Basically, you ship him your wire harness and computer (so he can test it) and in two weeks he ships you back your cleaned, rewrapped, harness with all the connectors labelled, and minus about 15 pounds of unneeded wire and connectors. You just plug it all in, and start the motor.

He provides fused power for the heater fan, horn, etc, and can leave in the A/C wires or anything else you might want remaining, just tell him your needs. He has done dozens of these, and it will save you many hours, even IF you can get hold of the correct Helms diagram for your car.

Forrest

1 - 4 of 4 Posts