Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed the manual choke carb with an electric one (Holley 600 vac sec). The factory one had secondary problems and had mechanical sec. Anyway, how/what do I hook the electric part on the choke to?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the link.
It states that it should be hooked to a 12v source while running so the battery doesnt die while listening to radio, ect. Most were hooking to altenator, electric fuel pump. I dont have either, so is there a place on the generator I could tap into?

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
The choke element (non-OEM) has to be powered off a direct keyed BAT VOLT (12V) source.

Ideally, it would be powered off a fused relay circuit. It is only activated with the KEY ON. Do Not power off of IGN CIRCUIT.

I wish I had a clear schematic. David should have one.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Let me try again-

Thanks for the link.

It states that it should be hooked to a 12v source while running so the battery doesnt die while listening to radio, ect. Most were hooking to altenator, electric fuel pump. I dont have either, so is there a place on the generator I could tap into?
A full electric choke has to have a constant 12V power sourse while the IGN KEY is in the RUN POSITION. You do not want that circuit powered off of any other IGN SW source, i.e. START or ACCESS.

The best way to go about it (IMO) is to have a fused relay run directly off the BAT (12V) and that relay be activated by the IGN SW in the RUN position. This will prevent circuit activation say if just listening to the radio. You also want as few 12V circuits running through the IGN SW as possible to prevent switch overheating.

This will ensure full power to the choke without interrupting any other possible tap-in (such as the IGN circuit) where it may affect that circuit.

What is the brand of the choke asm? The instructions are not that clear?

Now it is OK if you do not understand as we will keep at it until you do.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Will this work
For wiring the relay yes, IF you are not using the actual IGN wired part of switch (the one for the ignition circuit) It can come off say the heater fuse, or ANY fused circuit that only operates in the RUN position.
If You still need help keep plugging away..... ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.