Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 31 Ford 2dr street rod with electric doors. The push button is under rear boxed in panel only accessible from inside rear of car. Battery in side rear of car AND hood pull inside car. d DILEMMA is either battery is dead or push button switch bad therefore NO WAY to get door open and get inside car. Builder did not put external Battery post so I need Help please. Any ideas other than breaking glass that I do not want to do? Frustration level and blood pressure both off the chart!!!!

·
Registered
10,299 Posts
Welcome to the Forums. :tup: Access the (+) side of your system anywhere you can, such as the alternator BAT stud, starter (depending on setup), starter relay, fuse box chassis wiring, back-feeding a headlight switch socket on the firewall, whatever. You can reach a lot from under a car. ;) If it's not heavy wiring where you tap into the system, just put a trickle charger on it for a while (don't overload the wires jumping a lot of power on a dead battery) until there's enough power to pop the locks.

David

[EDIT] PS: Probing with a VOM or test light can help determine if you are low on battery power or not. Most electric locks are solenoids with cables, often run at 90°. If the battery is dead, you may be able to sneak down with a flat tool and snag the cable, either in the up/down loop or where it turns across, to pop it. Like popping standard lock rods, but it's usually a cable.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts