Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm installing a 16" electric fan and have an electrical question. I am not using a temp switch and just need a 12v lead.

Is it safe to just wire it to a terminal on my starter relay? The fan has a 9 amp draw and should have a 30 amp inline fuse. I already have a junction box running on the same terminal running my gauges, roll control and 12v ignition lead to MSD 6AL.

The box didn’t come with a relay or anything.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Assuming you have a switch/relay somewhere in the circuit, then yes it should be plenty safe to wire it to the battery terminal of your starter relay.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I would make sure to wire it up with a relay. The guy that I bought my car from wired a switch directly to the cooling fan with no relay. (Or fuse!) He had two spare switches in the glove box, and for good reason. Running that kind of power through a switch is hard on it. The longer wire run may also drop the voltage at the fan. You can usually pick up relays at your local auto parts store. The Kragen stores around here have them on the fog light aisle. If you need a diagram or some help wiring it up, let me know.

I didn't notice what kind of car you have, but if you have an older mustang, you might consider upgrading your headlight wiring with some relays as well, since you're going to be in the same general area and dinking with relays. The lights are much brighter, and it's a lot easier on the headlight switch.

If you decide to not use relays, make sure you use large wire, and a really nice heavy duty switch.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I used heavy wire (10 gauge), a relay, heavy duty switch and a fusible link when I installed my taurus fan. You can never be too safe when it comes to electrical wiring.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Just go to www.summitracing.com and get a relay kit for your fan. Dont skimp on saftey of your wiring setup .
Its only $35 or so , compared to a fried wiring harness.
If your going to wire something, then wire it right.

5.0 block,B303,1.7 Rockers,beehives,'68 ported heads,Coated custom Must II headers,Edlb Airgap,Holley570,Msd Billet,Crane HI 6,Milodon 8 quart Deep Pan,2.5" 40 Flowmasters.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 71hotrodpinto on 9/2/06 9:56am ]</font>

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I went to the local Advanced Auto parts store for a inline fuse and walked out with an Imperial Fan Temp relay for $26.00
So I'm now in the process of wiring that onto the equation. It looks pretty straight forward. All I need to do now is buy a 2 wire harness for easy removal in the future. The kit came with a 85 deg radiator switch/sensor so I'm not going to run a dash switch.

I am not too sure how good the 85 deg switch will work but the instructions said you could move it up or down on your radiator to get a different reading. We'll see.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
If I can wire up a fan and relay, anyone can. A good relay kit will even come with a wire to hook up to your AC clutch to kick the fan on when the A/C is on. Or you can run it to a manual switch to control the fan by hand.

Its cheap insurance, it keeps a massive amount of current out of the cockpit. Nothing like 20+ amps running through 5 feet of wire. Too much opportunity for short to make me feel safe.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts