Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just did a rebuild of my 352, made it a 390. Its getting a little warm with the stock radiator. I have a aluminum 4 row coming this week but I also want to put an electric fan on it. I would like to take the stock fan out and free up a little power. I feel like an aluminum radiator and an electric fan should be enough but someone recommended keeping the stock fan, aluminum radiator, and electric push fan. Do I need this or just an electric pull? Also, any recommendations of electric fan set ups? Thanks!

·
Registered
1963 Ford Galaxie 500
168 Posts
The electric fan if you have the option to is the way to go. It is regulated by the temperature of your motor, not just by the engine running. using both a push fan and stock fan is an option. I do not have any experience with that setup.

·
Registered
90 Posts
4 core is harder to push air thru, just keep that in mind . I have 2 12" fans on a 3 core and its good. buddy has a transaction w a 4 core and has issues pulling air thru at idle. I def prefer electric though

·
Administrator
21,851 Posts
I don't have 4 core but use pusher fan and stock fan. I use a toggle switch for my fan so i can turn it on when I think I need it or are about to need it, like the recent car cruise and sitting for 10 mins at a time not moving anywhere while the cars further ahead are doing burnouts! Makes for a long wait sometimes!

·
Registered
45 Posts
The flex-a-lite 180 is nice. I run it with on a 3 core and it does great. It has a temp control box included, however I tied it into my EFI system so it can control it. I also have a manual switch hooked up.

·
Premium Member
6,020 Posts
I don't have 4 core but use pusher fan and stock fan. I use a toggle switch for my fan so i can turn it on when I think I need it or are about to need it
When that happens to me I turn on the heater and open the windows :-(
I'd like to have a pusher fan on a switch but I have a condenser and figure it won't fit .

·
Administrator
21,851 Posts
When that happens to me I turn on the heater and open the windows :-(
I'd like to have a pusher fan on a switch but I have a condenser and figure it won't fit .
Yeah that would pose a problem unless there's room to one side. I had issues with the hood opening lever in front of the radiator so had to mount the fan off to one side and it barely fit there because of the size of the fan. I'm not too familiar with the condensers and such. Is there room between grill and condenser? Probably not but had to ask.

·
Registered
90 Posts
there sure isn't on mine. I considered a small pusher as well but the ac does pretty well, and it was a HOT summer down in sc this year, it did pretty good.

fwiw, small good quality pusher fans can be had. I have a similar on of these on one of my vintage hot rod 2 strokes, albeit a puller. it can knock the coolant temp from 212 down to 190 in about 2 mins on a 90 degree day with zero external airflow sitting at a forever traffic light. . SPAL Automotive USA 30103009 Spal Electric Fans | Summit Racing

i considered using one of this size or similar (5 or 6') to use for sitting in traffic but found i didn't really need it for the galaxie ac.

·
Administrator
21,851 Posts
I forget what mine has, 14" maybe but I know it works. Idle litterally all day long in traffic when hot. It got the ultimate test at a 3 day car show/cruise event i go to every year. We stopped cruising to eat and that's bout it for 12 hrs. lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts