Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
21,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do those of you that have an electric fan in addition to the stock fan have them hooked up? Thermostat so they are automatic at a certain temp? Toggle switch of some kind? Switched source so they run full time?

Deb

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Deb a friend of mine has a switch under the dash, in traffic he turns it on.

seems to work really well, although i like the idea of having a thermostat and not having to worry about it.

L

·
Premium Member
5,910 Posts
I would like an extra fan, where do you place it?
Tom 65 Gal, 352, A/C

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
It mounts to the front of the radiator behind the grill, when i was riding in my friends truck and it was getting hot he'd turn it on and the temp gauge would drop about 10 degrees

L

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: lgh1157 on 8/26/06 10:42am ]</font>

·
Registered
194 Posts
All I have is an electric fan (puller) and it came with a temp. switch it was supposed to turn on at 170* when it was mounted to the bottom side of the lower radiator hose...I had it all hooked up right and the first time I started up my car we weren't paying attention to it and the fan never turned on. The motor over heated and blew the lower hose off at the pump. That night I installed a temp., oil pressure, and volt gauges and put a toggle switch under the dash so I know if the fan is on or not. I like having the switch because I can turn it on when it needs it and off once I get moving 45 mph or so.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
If you have enough space you can also mount a fan behind the radiator, in front of the mech fan.

I put a 14" spal behind the rad, (inside the shroud, the aux fan was mounted directly to the radiator) in front of the clutch fan in a 1988 volvo. When the aux fan came on, engine idleing, the amount of air being pulled through the rad at least doubled. Cured a slow-speed overheating problem.

·
Registered
278 Posts
My 2 cents - if you want a slick install and good temp based control I would get a controller from DC controls. I had started jimmying up a set of relays to run the Mark VIII fan that is going in my car and found that it is not only a better way to control the fan but in the long run will probably be cheaper... Look at the FK35 or FK60 products....

http://www.dccontrol.com/

·
Registered
981 Posts
Great find, 3000 cfm's ought to be good, I may just get the same. I'd swear that I saw a 3800 cfm one from Zirgo @ Summit, but 99 bucks versus 200 plus? 800 cfm's won't make that much difference. My brother runs a single 2100 or 2300 Derale for a built 306 ci 500 hp's and it cools fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts