Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi! first post here been reading for a while.lots of great info that's still a little above my head at times,but it's a good way to learn..

we've encountered a small prob with the wiring on my friends 65 ht. it will not charge the battery.

he's done an engine swap and upgraded the wiring from the 65 with generator to a 66 set up with alternator and regulator.

we've been through 3 alternators and 2 electric regulator and 1 mechaniacl regulator and new wires wired up as 66 schematics states..

what can still keep it from charging?all wires were working on old engine and charging from the alternator he has.

he's using a msd box with distributor and coil..would this interfere in any way?

any suggestions would be very welcome..

thanx
e

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: terlinguaterror on 7/3/06 11:55am ]</font>

·
Banned
2,833 Posts
Have you checked to measure the voltage output of the Alt? That and is the engine block grounded good?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it's putting out 12.1 from the Alt and engine block should be grounded good.all cabels are ohmed and have current passing through them..

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
should be more like 13.5 if its charging correctly

Try applying 12V to the field terminal, that should kick the alternator into high output mode. Do that while you have a multimeter on the battery terminals and the voltage should spike to 16 or so volts. (Don't do it for long).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how would that work after sparking the alternator though?after the initial spark will that get it running..
should the STA terminal on the back of the alternator have connection to the S terminal on the regulator?it does not say so when refering to the 66 wiering but a friend suggested that it should be connected..

is the field circuit the prob here?not giving enough "spark" that it needs more charge?
since we've been trying 3 different alternators,3 regulators and two different batteries.there's no way all these different components were all broken..
we'll try your suggestion though!!

·
Banned
2,833 Posts
Yes there is, some parts stores use parts that are taken off junkyard cars, then cleaned up and boxed for selling.

·
Registered
331 Posts
If you power the field and the alternator charges, your problem is not with the alternator.

Many cars don't have anything to the "S" terminal. Used to turn electric chokes off, etc.

Sounds like you have a wiring problem between the alt. and the regulator.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Gearhead99 on 7/3/06 8:41pm ]</font>

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
The alternator, because it charges differently from a generator, is wired differently - it has to have a current running through it in order for it to generate electricity. It actually generates AC current (hence alternator) but it uses solid state diodes to rectify the current to DC.

Generators do so mechanically - they have a commutator and physically keep the current passing in one direction. (Basically a refined motor that is being run in reverse - turning the arm and using it to generate current)

Make sure you have the wiring 100% right, because if it's not getting what it needs, you won't get any power out of it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well..we'll dive deep into the wiring and make sure it's correct..
we're all the way up in NORWAY, so there's really not that many used parts stores around.two of the components were brand new and the rest were functioning on the cars they were borrowed from..
we'll go through the wires again.
thanx!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
If you still haven't fixed the problem... I was having the same problems, and I found out that I didn't have the wire going from the radiator side/grill side of the solenoid to the battery terminal on the alternator. Also, if there's a plastic boot on that terminal on the alternator, leave it on there and mount the wire on top of that boot, so that it doesn't ground on the alternator. You'll get a nasty spark and melt the battery terminals (trust me on that one!
)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts