Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all, new member but have been reading tech related stuff here for years. I appreciate all the knowledge that is shared.

Electric Steering seems to be all the rage right now and i just purchased all the stuff to convert my 65 289 mustang coupe with manual steering over to electric this winter (already done the arning drop, roller spring perches, fabricated solid strut rods, boxed the control arms). While i was pulling the electric steering out of the donor Vue I couldn't help but notice the nice and compact rack and pinion saturn uses with the EPAS system. I already have the quicker ratio factory power steering gearbox on my car but it is still like 4 turns lock to lock. My car gets driven hard and I do a lot city driving. Cranking the wheel like a mad man around every corner is getting old. The electric steering itself will help with the effort but i will still be spinning my arm like a fast pitch softball pitcher around every corner. Plus there is some inherent slop in mustang factory steering components even when new, resulting in loose steering (loose for the type of driving i do) . I assume the rack an pinion saturn used on the Vue would have a much quicker ratio and would eliminate the center link and idler arm and connect directly to spindles via the tie rods.

I know at least a few members have converted their car to electric steering. Has anybody attempted to adapt a rack and pinion used with the EPAS motor into an early ford? For the 30 bucks its going to cost me for the rack at my local pick n pull I have no problem trying to make it fit. I have the fabrication skills to make any brackets i might need to install the rack on my car. Thought I would ask if anybody has tried and what kind of road blocks they ran into.

So far i have 40 bucks into the EPAS unit out of a Vue, a controller sourced from ebay for 65. The rack is going to cost 30 bucks. I know the electric steering will work and I will have 105 invested in that. If i can get the rack to fit i will have 135 in a complete electric steering setup. I will post updates on the rack fitment and progress.

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
If the EPAS and rack are from the same car, then why wouldn't they work? Rack and pinion will be a big improvement over the 60's setup.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the EPAS and rack are from the same car, then why wouldn't they work? Rack and pinion will be a big improvement over the 60's setup.
Rack is from same car but the issue would be retrofit onto the mustang. Will location of the rack input shaft have any clearance issues with headers, exhaust or engine? Overall rack length long enough? Will I still be able to get full turning radius? Curious if anybody else has tried this before I commit the time to it. The car will be out of commission during test fit and installation so I don't waste time trying to make something work.

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
Rack is from same car but the issue would be retrofit onto the mustang. Will location of the rack input shaft have any clearance issues with headers, exhaust or engine? Overall rack length long enough? Will I still be able to get full turning radius? Curious if anybody else has tried this before I commit the time to it. The car will be out of commission during test fit and installation so I don't waste time trying to make something work.
Like any custom set-up, you will need to take lots of measurements and "dry fits" to make it work properly. I had a '69 Mustang with an aftermarket power assist that sat horizontally after the axle, so I'm sure you have room to make it work. Take lots of pictures and let us know how it turns out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts