Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did the 3G alternator conversion and all was well for a while. The stupid thing started doing what my other alternator did, keeps going wide open which causes the belt to really start slipping. I can unplug the harnes to the alternator and it stops squealing. The battery is in the trunk, and the cable from the alternator goes to my master cut off switch so I can shut the car down per track rules. Any suggestions why this happens? I had it, along with the old one tested and they tested fine, my old one is even on a mustang right now! I'm running 6 guage i believe from the alternator.
Please help!
Thanks
Tracy

·
Registered
281 Posts
By "going wide open", do you mean that it is charging? Do you believe that it is charging when it should not be? That would point me toward the regulator.

If it is just belt slippage, have you altered the stock set up? That is, have you changed something that is now making the pulley get less grip on the belt?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pulley wise its the stock setup. I Had an aluminum pulley on it but went back to a steel one hoping that it would help. I know the belts are aligned, I machined my own spacer to make sure the belt was straight. This started really after my second pass down the strip shifting at 6500. The old alternator used to do the same thing, but is fine on my friends car. Would a bigger battery cable (from master switch up to the starter relay) maybe help? I'm running 2 guage now. I've been fighting this for a few years, just wondering if it may be an electrical problem causing the alternator to feel the need to open up?
Thanks
Tracy

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
I'd say tighten your belt somemore.. Might be a cheap belt or over streatch (sp).
tim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts