Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

So I have had this strange electrical problem with my 66 fastback. Everything works when the battery is hooked up. When I disconnect the battery, such as when you have the car running and disconnect the battery after you put it in the garage but want to let it run for a bit before shutting down, is where the problems start.

What happens is bulbs blow up! I do this with the convertiable all the time and never have an issue (running the car with out the battery after starting). I made this mistake 3 times, its habbit to disconnect the battery before shutting down completely for me. First time I blew the dash voltage regulator, second time interrior lights, and the third time the low beam headlights. Seems that anything that is drawing power at that instant will blow.

I do not know if the alturnatior needs replaced (don't know if it was replaced ever), or if the voltage regulator is bad, or what it can be. Everything works great with the battery hooked up though.

input appreciated,

Coal

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
You should NEVER run a car with yhe battery disconnected the regulator uses battery voltage as a reference without that you get a voltage spike which blows bulbs and electronics

·
Premium Member
3,641 Posts
lol..i guess ,you didn't learn the first 2 times....

its a know fact that this can happen or will happen....
altinator is fine....
just dont run it with battery dissconected...
i guess you have just been lucky with the vert or altinator is putting out less juice.....

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Boy do I feel stupid now lol.

Thanks for telling me something I did not know was well known information. All the more reason I study mechanical engineering and not electrical.

Thanks guys :)

Coal

1 - 4 of 4 Posts