Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to buy the Electronic ignition for our cars, But I have a problem, My car his single points with vacumm advance.
And here are my choices.....
"ELECTRONIC IGNITION SYSTEM 8 CYL W/ SINGLE POINTS"
OR
"w/ Dual Points & Vacuum Advance"

Which do I buy?
-Thanks!
Jeff

·
Registered
2 Posts
You didn't give too much specifics on the kind of car you are upgrading. If you are looking for something for everyday driving
you might want to look into a pertronix unit. It is very easy to install and everything fits right under the distributor cap. It will also work with your stock vacuum advance can.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry I thought my Username gave that away. But its a 1965 Mustang with a 289 and yes I was talking about the pertronix. thanks
-Jeff

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I used the single point style pertronix in my 68 stang with vacuum advance works good.Apparently there is a newer version out called pertronixII. I don"t know if its much better or not but might be worth checking out before you buy the other one

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I am using a Duraspark distributor and a MSD 6A box. Works really well. Might look into the duraspark. Just tell the parts guy its for a '76 302.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On 2002-01-12 14:03, frdnut wrote:
I used the single point style pertronix in my 68 stang with vacuum advance works good.Apparently there is a newer version out called pertronixII. I don"t know if its much better or not but might be worth checking out before you buy the other one
It's the same but it does this also "also includes the new microcontroller (that controls the dwell period) for the best possible spark over the entire RPM range."
Any reason id need that on a mild 289?
-Jeff

·
Registered
80 Posts
On my '68 torino, i used a msd-5 box with the stock point dist. it runs about 2.5 volts through the points and almost no current, so it won't burn them up-i haven't touched the points in 4 years, try that with the stock ignition. plus you get the multisparking of the msd-6 for a lot less money-i bought mine from summit for about $70

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Stinger makes some good points(no pun intended)If its just a mild 289 and a stock appearance is of any concern(theres no box) the pertronix is a good way to go.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I agree with the other guys about the Pertronix. I ran an original Ignitor first off in a recurved stock distributor. The Pertronix is awesome and really smooths out the engine, plus it gave me better gas mileage to boot. I have since installed the Ignitor II. It is an even better piece than the original. I use it trigger an Accel 300+ ignition. Again gas mileage and power went way up and she starts up first try every try. There is no way the points would do that, especially on those cold mornings.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I disagree, for the cost and ease of installation, you just can't beat an msd or pertronix setup. Don't get me wrong guys, the duraspark is ok(going to use one to trigger an msd-6 in my current buildup),but with the pertronix you get a very clean installation,and the msd-5 gives you the advantage of multisparking. they claim a pretty good mileage increase (msd) when installing their box, and from what i've seen on my car, they're right. i picked up 4 mpg on the highway, it increased "seat of the pants" power, and like i said earlier i haven't touched the plugs or points in 4 years. plus when it gets cold, i pump the gas once, and hit the key for 1 sec. and she fires right up, no matter how cold it is outside. although this won't be a concern with the current buildup, i saw enough to be sold on msd ignitions

just my .02

·
Registered
74 Posts
I run a Duraspark ignition running low 11's with no problems!! Why spend money in something that won't improve me more than 5 horsepower for about 400 bucks!!!Will stay with my DURASPARK ignition,and will change it LAST for horsepower gains,because the Ford Duraspark works great!!!

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm not disagreeing with you that the duraspark is a good ignition system, hell i'm going to use a duraspark distributor to trigger my msd-6al. All i'm saying is that for his purpose, i think the pertronix will be easier to install, it only takes about 15 minutes to install. as far as the msd-5 i'm currently running, it's a little more messy than a pertronix, but still cleaner looking than the average duraspark harness. what kind of box are you using with your duraspark? the stock ford box, or are you running something different?

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Gotta agree. My msd 6 with a rebuilt duraspark dist. was one of the best purchaces I ever made. I've had it over 7500 RPMs without a problem. If you got the cash hey why not go all the way with a full set up. But if money is a concern I've got full faith in a duraspark and msd set up.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I think we've lost sight of the original application.Sounds like a mild 289 driver not a 500 hp 8 grand screamer.I just threw my old set of points in the glove box and if the pertronix ever gives me a problem the old points go back in as easy as they came out.You guys have some good tips for a healthier combination though.I'm not knocking the other setups I just think its overkill for a mild 289 .

·
Registered
80 Posts
Actually, the msd-5 is intended for use on a bone stock engine, i bought mine for my torino because i was using it to tow a 2000lb trailer. at that time, i was running a stone stock engine down to the cast iron intake and 2100 carb. i still have this box on the car, but i'm going to outgrow it with the combo i'm building now. i think that it would be a tough choice between it and the pertronix for a stock to mild engine

just my .02

1 - 16 of 16 Posts