Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

Electronic ignition

3K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  wildosvt01 
#1 ·
I am looking at the Petronix PRX1281. Do you know if it is the correct unit for a 64 Gal (390) stock distributor, etc? No tech available at Petronix to answer the question.

#5 ·
On 2006-06-15 11:27, Mikelonis wrote:
Oh, and by the way. The 1281 is the number you are after. That's what we picked up. But yes, hold off. Our initial impression is you get a more robust and complete unit from Mallory for $20 less. Still have to see how the install and part-by-part comparison goes.
Right on Mike!

Thats awesome of ya to chime in with the "hold on".

I still love your 73!!!!

#6 ·
I must apologize on this one. We had an article showing the Mallory E-Spark and the Pertronix Ignitor slated for the latest issue. We ran into a few bugs while producing the article. It won't publish until our next issue (about 6 weeks). Again, I apologize for the misinformation.

My only suggestion at this point would be to compare the price of each unit and take a look at the included parts. The Mallory E-Spark is definitely more complete.

Thanks,
Jon Mikelonis

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mikelonis on 6/27/06 7:09am ]</font>

#8 ·
Here's what I did. Took a 76-77 Ford truck electronic dist (Azone) with single vacuum advance, had it recurved then installed the cap adaptor for the HEI style cap (late model v-8 Ford) then installed a TFI coil from any later model car and then used the 8mm wires. Perfect & Cheap alternative (also fits Under my stock 62 aircleaner)

Dist cost approx $50.00 from Azone. used core from a 400 M & adaptor with cap and wires from junk yard with any brain box for mid to late 70's Fords $30.00

Total investment for HEI style dist $80.00

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Galaxie_406 on 6/27/06 9:05am ]</font>

#9 ·
I wound up going with the Pertronix unit. Everything wen twell. Had to replace the cap and rotor also. They looked a bit "weary". Seems to be running just fine.

#10 ·
I had the Pertronix ( used swap meet $5.00 ) in my 64 . I just upgraded to the Pertronics II . I think it was one of easiest upgrades. I was gong to go the route that Galaxie_406 but decided imo the pertronix was easier.

#14 ·
Why is it even better? The Davis unit is extremly pricey. I am not a believer at the moment. The Petronix unit I have had for sometime is flawless. I am no cheapo when it comes to my Gal-Trust me! I cannot find a reason to spend it. Although I have been thinking about it for a long time. The vey last item in/on the motor which has not been replaced and upgraded.

#15 ·
when I installed the DUI on mine I noticed, Better starting, smoother idle, dramatic increase in power. Also eliminates alot of the wiring in the engine bay. I can run .50 spark gap, noticed the plugs are now burning cleaner. It came custom curved to my engine as well.
I am not saying there is anything wrong with the pertronix unit, especially for a stock engine that doesn't need a more powerful spark. My engine is far from stock though. Just saying that I noticed big improvements with the DUI vs. the pertronix, but it did come at a price.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: psivory on 6/28/06 10:59pm ]</font>

#17 ·
Tankama,
What year is the 223?

1963-1967 6cyl Ford (holley style dizzy)

Part# 1266 for the standard Ignitor
Part# 91266 for the Ignitor II

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.