Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the addition of the electric waterpump, its become clear that the alternator mounting isn't my biggest problem. I don't mind loosing the power steering, but I'm currious what the best option for my dollar is? I have a 75 ranchero with a 400. The headers nearly touch the steering box after some tube massage that is. I'm thinking of a manual gear box like is used on t-buckets or other hot rods, they're small, but Damn expensive. Any other suggestions that are NOT rack and pinion? Only because I don't want to deal with the hassle of completly revising the steering.

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
I'm running manual steering in my car but it's a '65 Falcon with a small block (and lots of aluminum stuff) so it's not an issue with me. My car only weighs 3050 lbs. The only time I even notice it being slightly difficult is in parking lot situations where I'm having to make several short/tight turns at really low speed.

John

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I converted my PS to non power steering in my mustang using the adaptor which replaces the control valve on the center link.....It works ok but steering effort is a little high when stopped....I am not sure what kind of steering you have on your ranchero?...Is it the early style with a hydraulic ram or is it all contained in the steering box?

·
Registered
10,461 Posts
Non-PS effort is directly related to the alignment - especially caster. Proper size steering wheel, gear box ratio, and no parts slop with a good MS alignment will do wonders for parking situations.
:tup:
David

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Redhead that was recomended by psig has a manual box that will fit in the original location for 246. They said the only issue is that they dont have a proper pitman arm to fit it, and my chero. That I would have to modify the pitman arm they have for the box.

Frdnut, its just a contained steering box and linkage in my 75, no RAM as in the early mustangs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.